I WANT YOU ALL TO LISTEN AND COMMENT ON THIS RE: THAT SOUND

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: I WANT YOU ALL TO LISTEN AND COMMENT ON THIS RE: THAT SOUND

Postby OLDEREK » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:13 pm

Didier wrote:May be lead guitarist Ger De Zwat could tell us what gear he is using. He is a member of this forum...

Didier

Didlier.......at the moment I don't want anyone to know what gear is being used, that way the comments will be about what members hear and not what gear is being used.

To me this fits the "That Sound" tag !

Come on Phil Kelly.... Justin Daish.....lets hear your views, judging this on it's merits rather that what equipment is used, the reason I say this is, if certain players went on stage with a echo in a cardboard box with a lead in and a lead out the comments would disappear in fear of prasing a digital machine !!!...........Over to you Chaps...........
OLDEREK

Postby RUSSET » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:53 pm

Derek,
That's one of the very best & closest Shads tones I've ever heard, & if that was recorded live on a camcorder, it's even more remarkable. It certainly brings back memories of those early Shads LPs. Any criticism of that would be, in my opinion, tantamount to shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic as it slipped away. Congratulations to a fantastic band, & long may they pluck !

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby phil kelly » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:07 pm

Hello Derek,
Firstly a good sound is a good sound, whatever gear is being used, i dont remember dismissing anything in the past just because a meazzi wasnt being used if thats what youre getting at, i myself have used a multitude of echo boxes over the years and they all in their own way sounded good, the key is playing the sound which is what we hear with this track, a good player getting a good sound out of his gear because he is playing in the right way.
It isnt anything we havent heard before, ( think Ronnie 1961 ) a strat through a graphic to enhance those barky midrange tonal qualities that sounds great, we,ve all done it, some still do , sounds great and is very Shadowy, but slightly different to Hanks early sound if youre talking anorak.
I do have to say a digital sound never really nails it for me, has to be valve, tape and analogue, just my opinion of course,
Phil.
phil kelly

Full Real Name: phil kelly

Postby Didier » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:31 pm

OLDEREK wrote:
Didier wrote:May be lead guitarist Ger De Zwat could tell us what gear he is using. He is a member of this forum...

Didier

Didlier.......at the moment I don't want anyone to know what gear is being used, that way the comments will be about what members hear and not what gear is being used.

It's an excellent sound, the kind I like very much, but it's not quite "that sound" (Hank's early years sound), but I have heard as good before...

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby gerdezwart » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:59 pm

Members,
It is/was not my intention to get close to 'that sound'. I always use an old Squier HBM fitted with 57/62 p.u.'s. My VOX AC30/6 (with Blue"s) is built in 1999. Together with an BOSS GE-10 and a stomp with EFTP, that's all there is. I simply perform the tunes I like and , like Phil Kelly said, with a sound I like (esspecially the sound of "1961" for this tune . Everyone has a different opinion about That Sound. I'm surprised about the 'voting' initiatif of Derek. For us, it's nothing special! It's just the sound of the 60+ GUITARBAND.
Et pour Didier, Est-ce qu 'on se voit a VIF, le 9 Mai?
Ger
gerdezwart

Postby Didier » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:58 pm

gerdezwart wrote:Et pour Didier, Est-ce qu 'on se voit a VIF, le 9 Mai?
Ger

Bonjour Ger,
I don't think I'll be in VIF this year, May be I will come to Tilburg next month, but it's not sure yet.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Arpeggio » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:15 pm

As a listener / 'consumer' I loved it! Very fine playing. The sound reminds of both the early Shadows and also the Hunters. Great stuff!

Rob :D
Arpeggio

Postby kittycph » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:21 pm

A very good sound. I think it sounds great. I never think about what gear that are being used. I don't know anything about Meazzi's, echo boxes etc. I just know what I like. ;) I give it a 9.
kittycph

Postby Arpeggio » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:24 pm

Ah yes...ooops...Yeah 9 out of 10 from me.

Rob :D
Arpeggio

Postby pjk47 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:46 am

To my ears this is a blend of the Hunters and early Shadows - a sound to die for! I agree the bass needs more oomph (a recording limitation?). The rhythm guitar is first class. The drums don't come through, which is a great pity 'cause it's a Gretsch kit - I would have killed for one of those in the early 60's. My score for "that sound" is 11. Anyone that can get that close outside a recording studio is a freak or a genius. Pete JK.
pjk47

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows