I WANT YOU ALL TO LISTEN AND COMMENT ON THIS RE: THAT SOUND

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: I WANT YOU ALL TO LISTEN AND COMMENT ON THIS RE: THAT SOUND

Postby ecca » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:14 pm

dave robinson wrote:I can't believe that this is having to be explained, it's something that we have done for ever. :?

tee hee
What's a plectrum ?
ecca

Postby Dance with Shadows » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:32 pm

Thanks Roger for your explanation. I appreciate your efforts.

What's the difference between what you proposing and a pinch harmonic? So that I'm clear, may I ask one more question? In the case of a pinch harmonic the flesh and pick hit the string at the same time. Is the technique you are proposing to hit the string first and then a moment later brush it with the flesh of your thumb?

regards

Michael
Dance with Shadows

Full Real Name: Michael Brooks

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:59 pm

Michael

A pinched harmonic is caused usually by lifting the thumb away from string very shortly after striking the note whereas as Justin Daish explained earlier the difference with this technique is slightly different in that the thumb kinda holds a little longer in effect damping the note and might be assisted by feeling your way and practice really no other way to explain it as really gotta feel it ! :D
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby bec » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:12 pm

Excellent sound wich reminds me of sound quality the Hunters and the Outlaws produced live back in the last century.
.. bec
bec

Postby Mike Honey » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:49 pm

Dont know about unfair to judge a camcorder sound. To my ears its better than a 1961 vinyl 45 played on the old dansette!!

Mike :D
Mike Honey

Postby Gary Allen » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:00 pm

Sorry to burst the bubble but the crash cymbal in the audio doesnt match the visual..I ve no doubt that this mix could be achieved and Im not knocking the lads...Still a good sound and a great song............ :clap: ( 48-52 seconds )
Gary Allen

Full Real Name: Gary Allen

Postby OLDEREK » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:06 am

Reading through the replys quickly I think some of you have got the wrong end of the stick !!! , I started this thread to prove we may all hear That Sound differently, I never asked anybody to judge the band, or the video, I asked for comments on the sound of the guitar, IE: How close is this to the sound you have in your head that you want/try to get from the gear you use !!.............

This was said to me yesterday
"That sound, it doesn't really exists as we all hear it differently"..............Maybe thats the truth !!
OLDEREK

Postby Spike » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:07 am

Hi guys, I might be wrong but it sounds like a studio recording mimed to a live audience. There appears to be a rapid fade-in of the live audience at the end where you can also hear the dying live sound.
If you go to one of their other YouTube videos...e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owm6RfovsKM&feature=related you will notice a vast difference in the sound from the Fort Knox one.
I’m not knocking the sound I hear but I just want to see if others have noticed that it may be in fact a mimed studio recording.

Spike
Spike

Full Real Name: Spiro Hatzimichael

Postby dagon1 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:20 am

With all due respect to my fellow Baby-Boomers, I'd like to remind you that our days of representing ourselves as the connoisseurs of "that TONE" and "that SOUND" are diminishing each year.
See below. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by dagon1 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
dagon1

Postby ecca » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:53 am

Pardon ?
ecca

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows