Be careful who you deal with!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Be careful who you deal with!

Postby cockroach » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:44 pm

I agree with Jim...I don't see how anyone could buy a guitar without having tried it first. Especially when it's an expensive item!

EVERY guitar is different- two identical models can feel, and sound different...I've experienced this - at a gig once, my band did a guest spot, and a guy from another band kindly lent me his guitar- which made me comfortable because it was identical to the one I was playing back then (an early '90's genuine USA candy apple red maple neck Strat) AAARRRRGGHH- I was horrified when I started to play it on stage- it was as horrible as my own identical model was lovely!!!

I often browse the net for a bit of window shopping/dreaming - eBay etc, but I don't think I could buy a guitar that way.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby RayL » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:50 pm

Since their goods can't be tried before they are bought, good internet dealers offer a detailed description.(of a guitar, for example). These days people are aware of more than just the colour and the number of pickups. They want to know about the wood, the paint finish, the width at the nut, etc.

Perhaps a route for music shops would be to offer the same level of description so that rather than just offering a row of guitars on hangers or stands, each guitar would have a card with a proper description. At present, a quick glance along a row of price tags may dismiss excellent instruments because there is nothing to hold the attention for longer. With things to read, customers will stay in the shop and, as can be seen clearly from this forum, minute detail about guitars is highly prized amongst enthusiasts (and would-be enthusiasts).

Buying a guitar is often something that has to be 'justified' to one's contemporaries (or one's parents) and having a few good 'facts' about an instrument might be what is needed to justify a purchase. It means a bit more work for the shop, but if produces a sale rather than a quick turnaround and back to the computer, isn't it worth it?

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby neil2726 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:36 pm

The problem often is the cost! Ive recently checked the prices of Mexican fiesta red Strats on line and thay range from £399 to £449. One I saw last week in a local music shop last week was £529! Try before you buy or take a risk and save money? Trouble is if we buy on line we loose the local shops. Sods law!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby BobGreg » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:00 pm

I found this on the above listed web site - an update from Justin, thought I'd add it here.

Hi
This is justin harrison from music ground , thought i would post the actual facts about my company in terms of liquidation , based on difficult trading conditions and high rents , it has been decided with great sadness that we liquidate our northern sites in leeds , manchester and focus our energies on our london , usa locations and internet site , many staff members have been relocated and are all looking forward to a very positive future , if you have any direct questions please mail me personally on mgleedsds@aol.com or call on 0113 2438165
JUSTIN
BobGreg

Postby David Martin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:19 pm

I have bought mail order from Peter Cooks, Andertons, Coda and GAK and found them all very good. In particular, GAK will price match with Thomann which can save a huge amount.
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby John M » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:17 am

Interesting what "fool on the hill" said about JMI amps (AC30 "clones").
Noticed that these were the ones being used on the tour.
If there is any truth in what "fool" says..were the Shadows somehow "suckered" into using and promoting these products?
John M

Full Real Name: john miller

Previous

Return to The Shadows