The Shadows at the Doelen Rotterdam 1980

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

The Shadows at the Doelen Rotterdam 1980

Postby iefje » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:00 pm

Today, well actually now yesterday, it was exactly 30 years ago that The Shadows played, in my humble opinion, one of their best concerts ever at the Doelen Theatre in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. The complete concert was professionally filmed and eight tracks of the 28 tracks played were broadcasted on Dutch TV by organisation Veronica.

The eight tracks are:
1. The Frightened City.
2. Shadoogie.
3. Parisienne Walkways.
4. Let Me Be The One.
5. Wonderful Land.
6. Theme From The Deer Hunter (Cavatina).
7. Apache.
8. F.B.I.

It's about time the original film was dusted off and made ready for release on DVD and Blu-Ray. I guess it has been recorded in multi-track, so it could easily be mixed into stereo and 5.1 surround sound.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Re: The Shadows at the Doelen Rotterdam 1980

Postby AlanMcKillop » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:30 pm

There are good quality (bootleg) dvd's of the full concert in circulation. :thumbup: Do we know whether the original master tapes have been kept?
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby iefje » Mon May 03, 2010 11:54 am

AlanMcKillop wrote:There are good quality (bootleg) dvd's of the full concert in circulation. :thumbup: Do we know whether the original master tapes have been kept?

They are probably gathering dust in Veronica's vaults, if they have not been wiped yet :evil: .
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:29 am

I agree that it's a fantastic concert - the Shadows at their very best. I remember watching the short version on ITV, in 1981, and acquired the full length version in 2000. This would be a superb concert to release officially on DVD or merely as a live album. I know it is unlikely, for many reasons, but fingers will remain crossed. As it is, a few of us (too few) do at least have a visual record of the String of Hits tour and for that I am grateful.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby andykombi » Tue May 04, 2010 6:20 pm

drakula63 wrote:I agree that it's a fantastic concert - the Shadows at their very best. I remember watching the short version on ITV, in 1981, and acquired the full length version in 2000. This would be a superb concert to release officially on DVD or merely as a live album. I know it is unlikely, for many reasons, but fingers will remain crossed. As it is, a few of us (too few) do at least have a visual record of the String of Hits tour and for that I am grateful.

will you put it on youtube please ?
andykombi

Full Real Name: Andrew Dunne

Postby peter roest » Tue May 04, 2010 8:24 pm

I have a VHS tape of the concert:

1. The Frightened City
2. Man of mystery
3. Kon-Tiki
4. Atlantis
5. Shadoogie
6. Parisienne Walkways
7. Riders in the Sky
8. Foot tapper
9. Let me be the one
10. Don't cry for me Argentina
11. Wonderful Land
12. Johnny be goode
13. Walk don't Run
14. Dance on
15. Nivram
16. The rise and fall of Flingle Bunt
17. Rodriques Guitar concerte
18. It doesn't matter anymore
19. All i have to do is dream
20. All shook up
21. Honaurable puff-puff
22. Cavatina
23. Apache
24. Sleepwalk
25. Peace pipe/Guitar Tango
26. Medley: Lucille/Rip it up/Blue suede Shoes
27. Riders in the sky
28. FBI

I was also in the theatre during this concert (Marvin, Welch, Bennet whith George Ford (bass) and Cliff Hall.

The most negative for me was that I was one of the first to do reservation for the most expensive tickets at the VVV (tourist office at the Stadhuisplein in Rotterdam, I was born in Rotterdam and still live in Rotterdam-Hoogvliet), finally I got the last row of the most expensive tickets in the concert building. In Dutch it's called "balen" could be translated as feeling "very unlucky", sitting far away from the podium. Nowadays I still have bad feelings about that concert.
The positive fact is that I have a strat like Hank at the concert only mine is Sunburst (S 945400) buyed in 1980 and is showed (and still used) on my Avatar

Peter
ps there was also an concert in the same theatre in november 1980 whith Alan Jones on bassguitar. I have also an VHS tape of this concert
peter roest

Postby neil2726 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:25 pm

Can you convert a few to DVD and flog us some ? :D
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby andykombi » Tue May 04, 2010 11:18 pm

i would love a copy please :D
andykombi

Full Real Name: Andrew Dunne

Postby Mikey » Wed May 05, 2010 1:26 pm

Me too please. I'd be most grateful :D
Mikey

Postby peter roest » Thu May 06, 2010 9:55 am

Hi,

I don't have an Audio/Video capture card in my computer, also I don't still have an DVD recorder (only player), so on this moment I cannot reproduce the VHS tape to DVD

Peter
peter roest

Next

Return to The Shadows