Gallery of LP covers - and comments

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Gallery of LP covers - and comments

Postby JimN » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:03 pm

After submitting all the images I can find of the front and reverse sides of The Shadows EPs (most of the UK releases and a few foreign discs), I have started a sub-gallery to document the group's UK LP releases, starting with "The Shadows" (1961) and (as I write) reaching 1965's "The Sound Of The Shadows". I intend to complete the gallery at least as far as all of the group's mainstream Columbia and EMI-label releases through to 1980 (eventually).

I have included only the fronts of the 12" albums, mainly because I have no way of scanning such large items (being limited to A4 and therefore being constrained to use internet-sourced pics*). But I have added track listings and a commentary for each LP, as well as (for "Out Of The Shadows", "The Shdows' Greatest Hits" and "Dance With The Shadows") details of the state-of-the-art info on which bassist is featured on each track.

Please feel free to add comments (I don't expect my verdicts to be universally accepted) and any additional info you can contribute. Information which adds to the gaiety of nations may well be assimilated into my own commentaries!

I might have to use reproductions of some of the DigiPak CD covers for cases where I can't find a good scan on the web. I'm OK as far as "More Hits!", but can't currently find a good scan of the LP front cover for "Shadow Music". I've Photoshopped most of the pictures to improve their quality (and size on the page).

Over to you lot...

http://shadowmusic.bdme.co.uk/gallery/album.php?album_id=97

Best wishes,

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Re: Gallery of LP covers - and comments

Postby UlrichS » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:09 pm

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for all the scans and the additional information.

Regarding the "Out Of The Shadows" LP, from my records "Tales Of A Raggy Tramline" has been recorded on 19.12.1961 with Jet on bass. Licorice also confirmed that it's Jet on bass. I know about the session information from 1st June 1962. Could this possibly refer to some additonal processing of the track?

Also from my records "Some Are Lonely" (the 'faster' version from this LP) has been recorded on 21st December 1961. The slower 'French' version was recorded on 19th December 1961.

Are my records wrong in these aspects?

Best wishes,

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby JimN » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:52 pm

Hello, Ulrich,

UlrichS wrote:Regarding the "Out Of The Shadows" LP, from my records "Tales Of A Raggy Tramline" has been recorded on 19.12.1961 with Jet on bass. Licorice also confirmed that it's Jet on bass. I know about the session information from 1st June 1962. Could this possibly refer to some additonal processing of the track?

Possibly - according to Roberto's direct transcription from the EMI Hayes archives, there is a song recorded on that date - referred to purely as Jet & Brian's Tune. Since the only Harris/Bennett song I know is Tales Of A Raggy Tramline, it seems as though that must be correct! But you can see why I didn't spot Raggy... in my electronic search of the database! I have amended the article to conform with what we now know. Many thanks.

Also from my records "Some Are Lonely" (the 'faster' version from this LP) has been recorded on 21st December 1961. The slower 'French' version was recorded on 19th December 1961.
[/quote][/quote]

My copy of the database (Roberto's work) gives that December 1961 date as 19th - with no mention of the 21st at all. Since the "French" version of Some Are Lonely sounds more like a work in progress (with the UK "Out Of The Shadows" track being a finished item), it does indeed seem as though the later version (21st December) will be the one used on the UK and German LPs. I've amended the article.

Best wishes and many thanks,

JimN
JimN

Postby barryg » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:00 pm

Jim,

Just an idea but you could photograph the larger items. They usually come out surprisingly well.

Barry
barryg

Full Real Name: Barry Gillam

Postby AlanMcKillop » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:27 pm

I've got quite a few of the digipack CD's incl. Shadow Music, let me know what you need and I'll scan them for you.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby JimN » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:50 pm

Thanks for that, Alan - that's a very generous offer.

However, I do have all the DigiPak CDs myself.

For "Shadow Music", I have scanned the DigiPak front cover, then cropped to reduce the image to an approximate square, then pasted-in the original Columbia/EMI logo from a picture of the LP sleeve that I found on eBay... ;) I suppose I could have scanned the corner of the LP sleeve, but they're all up in the loft... :?

The result for "Shadow Music" (it's nearly ready to upload) is not bad at all...

Best wishes,

JimN
Last edited by JimN on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Postby Didier » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:33 pm

I have several LPs from the Shadows, but they are French releases (including "Out of the Shadows" on a stereo 10" LP), apart for the first album I have in UK release (stereo version).
Unfortnatly, I only have an A4 scanner, and taking proper pics of LP covers with a camera is not an easy task...

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby AlanMcKillop » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:56 pm

Sorry Jim, I misunderstood your post.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby George Geddes » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:40 pm

Jim

For LPs I use my A4 acanner and stitch two inages together. Some side setail may go but a bit of juggling usually works.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby JimN » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:03 pm

Hi, George,

Glad you had such a relatively easy trip home - it's always good to meet up at these events.

As regards the LP covers, I'm glad to be able to say that Charles Campbell has offered me a huge pile of scans of the front and rear sleeves UK and international LPs, and having edited and cleaned up the images a bit, I have already uploaded the Shadows' first LP (the South African "Rockin' Guitars" disc) at:

http://shadowmusic.bdme.co.uk/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=98&image_id=750.

We are now just wondering whether to delete the LP (front) covers I have already uploaded in order to start again with each side of each release.

It's looking good!

Best wishes,

JN

PS: I'm still looking for the EP covers (front and rear) for:

Out Of The Shadows No 1 (the one with Little B)
Dance With The Shadows No 2
The Sound Of The Shadows (all of them)
JimN

Next

Return to The Shadows