Past Masters and Damion - live theatre show

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Past Masters and Damion - live theatre show

Postby Paul Creasey » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:38 pm

SMASHING Gig in a very nice venue.
Good to see/meet so many friends there, too.
Well Done, Robbo, Damion, and The Past Masters - a most entertaining evening - Thankyou!!
Regards
Paul, Marg, Dave & Lorna ("Life Story" - Lincoln Division)
Paul Creasey

Postby MagicOurMorris » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:05 am

Hi Dave, just in the door back at Huddersfield. It was nice to get the opportunity to say hello, and I just wanted to echo Paul Creasey's comments and say thanks for a great night of music, enjoyed every minute. Please pass on my thanks to Damion and all the rest of the members of the Past Masters band, they were superb.
It was also good to meet up again with all the various members of the Creasey family and really nice to get the opportunity to meet one or two members of the Creasey clan that I have not had the pleasure of meeting before.
Super night, the best £10's worth I've spent in a long time.
Best Regards
Keith.
MagicOurMorris

Full Real Name: Keith Sayles

Postby abel » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:51 am

Hi all,

I just listened to "No Retreat" and thought it was a superb tune on par with the most beautiful instrumentals.
It is wonderfully interpreted by Dave and his band. Bravo.
What is the story of this tune?. Thank you.

Blessings,
Abel
abel

Full Real Name: Abel Khineche

Postby Tony Szpala » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:25 am

Dave

As anticipated, a first class, thoroughly enjoyable performance By Damion and The Past Masters. Carol said it was one of the best concerts she'd been to in years (may have had something to do with your promise, on her request, that you would not play "Theme from the Deer Hunter" - Cavatina!)

Best Wishes

Tony
Tony Szpala

Location: Ripley, Derbyshire email address: tony.szpala@hotmail.com
Full Real Name: Tony Szpala

Postby petercreasey » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:54 am

Indeed a great non stop show by the very talented ( if not a little sweaty!) Pastmasters and superb vocals by the multi -jacketed Damion. Great to see Derek Brown on bass again.
Not only are these Acorn Theatre shows great in themselves but also good to meet up with friends 'old and new' and to see that 'our' music is still putting bums on seats !!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

All the best
Peter Kim & Charlotte
'Life Story' Sheffield Division
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby dave robinson » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:11 am

Thanks everyone for your comments and it was great to see so many freindly familiar faces at the gig last night, as well as meeting new faces with familiar names on this site. As previously mentioned, it was a hot one last night although we all enjoyed the gig immensely and look forward to doing some more.
It's amazing that this style of music still attracts large numbers of people, some travelling fair distances too, as far away as the Hankies . . . . . . ;)

Abel, thanks for your comments about 'No Retreat', the tune was composed by our rhythm guitarist Malc, back in the summer of 2001 just before 9/11 happened. I sensed the tune had a bit of a patriotic feel to it and we discussed the title and came up with 'No Retreat' in defiance of what had happened to the Twin Towers. Later on we adopted the same theme to honour our WWII veterans and The Royal British Legion on the anniversary of the end of the last world war, contributing to the annual 'poppy appeal' and this year we are donating to the 'Help The Heroes' campaign, which is for our servicemen but this time related to the war on terror. we are proud of this tune and thank all of those who bought the DVD/CD package. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby keithmantle » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:13 am

Many thanks to Dave and all the band for a fantastic show, best I've heard since Colin Hicks and the Cabin Boys Dudley Hippodrome 1959 !!(Wee Willie Harris was also on the bill) Wish the Pastmasters did more gigs in the Midlands, Great Night was had by all, Keith , John , (Hankies club)
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby Brian Leary » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:46 pm

Dave, I'm a little puzzled here on the timescale of anniverseries.

No Retreat (which you asked me to help with was done in 2007) as shown in the screen shot of all the clips involved in the peice --unless there was a much, much earlier version of some years the dates don't add up.

Can you clarify Dave?
Attachments
No Retreat 2007 CD-ROM.JPG
(140.53 KiB) Downloaded 5011 times
Brian Leary

Postby dave robinson » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:20 pm

OK Toby, the video recording of 'No Retreat' was done in 2004/5 and Jim Walters filmed and put it together. Brian Leary gave me the idea for the inclusion of Churchill's speeches and the actual CD recording was done in 2002 , produced and edited by myself and features on our CD at that time, 'Past Mastering Cliff & The Shadows' which we took to Tilburg to sell after our appearance at the 42nd Cliff & The Shadows event. I can't imagine how those dates are revealed in this way. Perhaps somebody has been illegally copying ?
Please forgive me if I can't recall your involvement, you may like to remind me in what capacity I asked for your assitance. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby abel » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:12 pm

Hi Dave,

I am very glad your gig was a huge success. I have a video of one of your gigs years ago (with the Mesa Boogie) and it is superb.
We (Men of Mystery) will be be playing our first gig next week in Huntington Beach right next to the pier on the beach.
I wanted to ask you and Malc the authorization to play "No retreat", not next week but maybe in the future. We will pay any royalties for that if required and will give credit to the composer of course.
It's truly a haunting melody and the theme on the video along with your playing fit very well. Your band should have an audience beyond the UK borders.
My congratulations to all of you and to Malc for a superb composition.

Blessings
Abel
Last edited by abel on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abel

Full Real Name: Abel Khineche

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows