final tour dvd

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: final tour dvd

Postby peter roest » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:14 pm

kipper wrote:
peter roest wrote:There is one thing I want to remark, the DVD is perfect. But......... the DVD is not 100% live. Afterwards studio records did complete the DVD.

Peter

on what do you base this claim peter :o thats a big statement to make :) peter

Hello Kipper

2 examples 1. at 19.55 on the video (I'am the lonely one) Bruce change chord (from 5 to 1 position on the neck) you cannot hear the change
2. In Willy and the hand jive Hank and Bruce do sing in the mike of Cliff (doo, dididib), but the distance and the movement away from the mike do not reduce the volume.

Peter
peter roest

Postby kipper » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:07 pm

thanks for the intresting reply peter will take a look :shock: . anyone else notice this or have comments on it. peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby Steve Parish » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:46 pm

A friend of mine pointed out the Willie And The Hand Jive thing when I showed him the DVD. He mentioned it, we discussed it for half a bar or so and I remember saying "Well Bruce has got a powerful voice!". No sooner had it been mentioned, then it was forgotten. Personally, I was, and still am, too busy enjoying the music and just the fact you've got Cliff and the Shads together on the same stage to be interested in minor details like that. I tend not to over analyze music too much. Studio tidying up is commonplace in the music industry. Being a muso myself I wouldn't want a bum note going out on a record, DVD or whatever under any circumstances. Other things like auto tuners fall into the same category, they are merely tricks of the trade. I have known people who almost take it upon themselves to be extra picky and critical and can't listen to or watch a band without trying to find fault and therefore can't enjoy themselves, sometimes even spoiling your own enjoyment. Thankfully, I can go to see a band, watch a DVD etc... without being judgemental (unless it is of absolutely appalling quality of course, that is different!).
By the way, on a more positive note (E?...), who noticed BB throwing his stick in the air and catching it on Gee Whiz It's You? It is something I've seen him do previously, I think, off the top of my head, during Les Girls from the film Summer Holiday (?). After seeing BB do it live at the Wembley Arena on the 23rd October... I was bound to want to learn the trick wasn't I?! I practiced at home on my drum pad until I perfected it (or so I thought!). At a practice with my band, I tried it spur of the moment at an appropriate time, lobbed my stick in the air, got the flight a bit wrong and nearly hit our bass guitarist! Nothing like a flying drum stick to keep bass guitarists on their toes... I could have had his eye out! :lol:
Steve Parish

Postby strongbow » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:38 am

I’m not technical, but several questions occur to me with respect to the Willie and the Handjive comment.

Are sophisticated (and expensive) modern sound systems – such as that used on the tour – not capable of automatically adjusting (within limits) for the effect of someone’s changing proximity to the microphone?

If the system can’t automatically adjust, wouldn’t the guy running the live mixing board be able to? After all, the routines in the show were all pre-rehearsed so there’d be no surprises.

Perhaps whatever natural outage there might have been by virtue of Bruce & Hank moving away from the microphone was fixed in the post-production mixing (as distinct from re-recording) that Stageleft referred to.
strongbow

Full Real Name: pat murphy

Postby waffles » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:31 am

Last edited by waffles on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waffles

Postby captainhaddock » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:20 am

Can't you just enjoy it?
captainhaddock

Postby Steve Parish » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:52 am

Waffles... I concur!
Captain Haddock... I concur!
8-)
Steve Parish

Postby bgohara » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:44 pm

Captain / Steve - totally agree with you both - analyse anything too much and you miss the point of it all.

Waffles - the band was really tight - but I suspected there might be a little bit of 'splicing' on songs given that you filmed over 2 nights. I was there on the sat, and I seem to remember Cliff fluffing a couple of lines (Next Time / Don't Talk to Him) - but he is a master at covering it up / blagging it! There was a guy who seemed to have filmed the entire Friday night show from the audience and put it on youtube ( before Balladeer make him take it down) and out of interest I thought I would check to see if Cliff got the words right that night. I seem to remember he did - but Hank played a slightly different intro on Don't Talk to Him! - yet the DVD version has neither 'fluff'...so....

The thing that amuses me is that Cliff always makes a big deal out of writing the lyrics to Don't Talk to him - but never seems to get them right!!! Not meant to be criticism - just an observation....Cliff is a total pro and I don't think he did too badly given that he hasn't sung many of those songs in many years (wonder when the last time he sung dancing shoes, or I'm the lonely one). People like Springsteen and (I think even) McCartney now use teleprompters / autocues as a safety net - there's nothing wrong with using all the modern technology / tricks you can to get the best possible show - or dvd. Queen always used to put 'no synthesisers' on their albums until they gave in (around 1980 on the Game, I think) - it was almost like synthesisers weren't considered real instruments - how times have changed - thankfully for the better.
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby bgohara » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:48 pm

On a related point - it wasn't that long ago - but remember when 'videos' started to come out of live music shows - they used to be edited down to about 60 mins (e.g. Shadows at their Very Best video). Nowadays you get (and people expect) basically the whole show. When you compare the cost of a music DVD now (say £15) to the cost of a ticket (maybe £60/70) it really is great value for money - and I always find that I can watch them again and again and always enjoy them. Unlike a lot of movies where you watch them once, and perhaps never again. Unless its The Godfather, or Scarface, or the Spaghetti Westerns!!
Bernie
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby drakula63 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:43 pm

Cliff and the Shadows have always taken great pride, me thinks, in the quality of their live shows - so much so that I believe Bruce has often been reluctant for the release of live albums. As I understand it, a live album (or DVD) is often the result of the compiling of more than one performance and, as such, some minor discrepancies may seem to occur. As someone who attended two of the recent Cliff and the Shads shows, I feel that the live DVD captured very well the quality of the live show as I saw it. I have now played the DVD more times than I can remember (seriously) and I actually enjoy it just as much each time. Would be great if they could release a live CD too, then I could just listen to the music and give my eyes a rest. Could try shutting them, I s'pose...

With regards the Brian/chucking drumstick comments, I recall him doing it in the Summer Holiday sequence, but does he do it again in Wonderful Life, when they are playing On The Beach (quite literally!)? My 'tricks' with drumsticks never amounted to much, just dropping them and breaking them, I'm afraid. Perhaps I should ask Brian for lessons?

All in all, great gigs, great DVD. Hope it's not the last, but if it is, they've gone out with a bang!

"Be seeing you..."
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows