THOSE WERE THE DAYS

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

THOSE WERE THE DAYS

Postby noelford » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:36 am

How many of you players have pics of your early bands (or groups, as we called them in those days)? It would be interesting to see them, especially the gear you used at the time. I'll start the ball rolling.

The top pic is my first 'real' group, The Stormbreakers. We were semi-pro and worked around the Midlands. Note the extra lead guitarist, third from the right. I'm the one on the right with the boots and the Burns Sonic. The bass player, on the far left, is playing a his home-made fretless bass. This picture was taken in 1962 at Harshill High School, near Nuneaton, where we played many times to a very appreciative crowd, especially the girls!

The second pic was taken in Laon, France, July 1964, where we were just finishing a three month tour of American military bases. By this time we had turned pro and changed our name to The Establishment, the bass player had left and our second lead guitarist had replaced him as bass player. That's me on the right again, with the Cherry Red Gibson 335. I met another member of the Shadow Music Forum recently, who was working the bases in France at exactly the same time as we were. It was great to be able to compare notes, especially about the venues we had both played. As I said, in the title of this topic, those were the days.
Attachments
nfoldbands.jpg
(290.53 KiB) Downloaded 10721 times
noelford

Re: THOSE WERE THE DAYS

Postby tony parnham » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:05 am

Hi Noel,
Those are great nostalgic photos with that gear, I have a couple somewhere taken 1964 at Chinon US camp near Tours. I shall have to try and find them out and learn how to post them. Although the Yanks did'nt pay well it was a great experience and would'nt have missed it.
Tony Parnham
tony parnham

Full Real Name: Tony Parnham

Postby Didier » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:26 am

It seems that almost everyone went touring in the US bases in France at this time !

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby noelford » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:44 am

Hi Tony, I hoped you'd be looking in. I'd love to see those pics.

Didier, were you in Paris in 1964? We spent a great night there at the time... at least I think we did, don't remember too much!
noelford

Postby aardvarkd » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:55 pm

Do I see an Antoria/Guyatone LG50 lurking in the background with the (rhythm?) guitarist in the first picture? I wonder what happened to that guitar.
aardvarkd

Postby aardvarkd » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:07 pm

Sorry, just noticed the Antoria player was 'second lead' guitar.
aardvarkd

Postby Didier » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:19 pm

noelford wrote:Didier, were you in Paris in 1964? We spent a great night there at the time... at least I think we did, don't remember too much!

Yes I lived in center Paris at this time, but almost never going out in the evening, I was supposed to be studying full time ! I only went to some Sunday afternoon shows at the Paris Olympia, including for the Shadows in 1961 and 1984 !

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby noelford » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:31 pm

aardvarkd wrote:Do I see an Antoria/Guyatone LG50 lurking in the background with the (rhythm?) guitarist in the first picture? I wonder what happened to that guitar.

Well spotted! Yes, it was indeed a Guyatone and is being played by our second lead guitarist who later switched to bass. When we had our reunion in 2004, he was the only original band member we couldn't trace (and never have), so what became of the Guyatone will probably remain a mystery.
noelford

Return to The Shadows