Shadowvarius

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Shadowvarius

Postby Tab » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:33 am

Does anybody remember a tribute band that went by the subject name?

I remember seeing them at the Hawth theatre in Crawley some years ago - they appeared with a Buddy Holly/Crickets tribute act.

Are any of the members also members of this site?

Would like to know what happened to the 'Buddy' band as well.
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Re: Shadowvarius

Postby Simon Underwood » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:02 am

Hi Terry,

The band's name was Shadivarius, and their lead guitarist was Nick McNulty. I saw one of their gigs advertised at Worthing Pavilion once, but wasn't able to go. Don't know anything about the Buddy Holly band, though.

Here's Nick's homepage: http://www.nickmcnulty.co.uk/index.htm

Cheers,

Simon
Simon Underwood

Full Real Name: Simon Underwood

Postby Tab » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:48 am

Many thanks, Simon. I see I spelt the name wrongly - it should be Shadivarius - apologies.

I assume that their rhythm player is the Howard Gillespie of Oasis Music and Custom Strat fame.

Would still like to know more of the Buddy band though.
Tab

Postby nick.nivram » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi Terry and Simon

This is Nick. I am a very happy member of this site (known as Nicknivram) and have been for a while now. Shadivarius did a couple of national theatre tours in '95/96 and it was reasonably successful as a working tribute band. All credit must go to the dedication and zeal of manager Ray Lloyd who was hell bent on making it happen. But we just missed the boat of the real Shadows revival in the late '90's and Local Heroes and others had better introductions. My dear friend Howard is still rhythm guitarist as technically the band is still going but now only in name. I first met Bruce and Jet on of our gigs when they came to see us in Bournemouth. Jet played Nivram with Howard and I doing lead and rhythm. Fabulous night for me to meet Bruce that night (we cant have been that bad as he is still talking to us both.....). Other band members were Dave Kennel on drums and Phil Hampton on Bass. Great guys. Working with Howard and Ray and all the others was one of the pinnacles of my pro career. I got to know Phil Kelly at this time and he was (and still is) a wonderful chap and a great support to me. I subsequently went on to play the Hank role for Jimmy Jermain (pure class) for a couple of years with Jud Beighton on Bass. I am currently working on a new Cliff/Shads project with Jud and Andy Lloyd.

I would love to get out and gig with Howie again. He has sold me the best guitars money can buy and it would be an honour to use them alongside him playing the music they were designed for. I am still tutoring my beloved music to my students when possible and it is wonderful to see Apache has a fine reputation as a 'must learn' guitar piece. Young people recognise the importance of Shads music and many came to see Shadivarius years ago and were infected. Its not too strong to say the Shadows and Bruce gave me a career really, one I value highly and will never compromise. And do you know what? It isnt over, the best days are ahead still.

The buddy Holly band was Bootleg Buddy who supported us on our tour in '95. They disbanded a while ago as far as I am aware and sadly I cant remember the names of their members other than David Jones who was Buddy. He replaced Mark Robinson I think but Bootleg Buddy were a damn good working band then. They had a killer Big Bopper who was a real laugh. If I can find out any further info I will add it to the thread Terry

Thanks for your interest

best wishes

Nick
nick.nivram

Re: Shadivarius (corrected)

Postby Tab » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:35 am

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply - nice to have some of the details updated.

John, who now runs the Surrey Club, and I saw the bands when you played Crawley and we had an enjoyable evening.

If you can get along to either the Surrey or the Sussex club it would be good to meet you again.

Kind regards,
Terry
Tab

Postby nick.nivram » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:37 pm

Hello Terry

I would love to come along to the Surrey club (as I am not too far from there, living near Aylesbury and the M25). Thank you for the kind invitation. I will check these boards for a meeting I can attend and let you know. This is very kind of you.

I hope this thread (and me) hasnt contributed to this embarrassing situation with self-promotion. I find the whole thing mortifying (especially as Shadivarius has been dorment for a decade or so...). I can make no apology though for extolling the glorious virtues of dear and totally worthwhile colleagues who give far more than they ever receive to the Shadows community. I will send personal information privately in future. Dear God, I could weep.

Best wishes

Nick
nick.nivram

Postby Tab » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi Nick,

there is a Surrey meeting on Friday evening - I don't know if that is too short notice but I hope to get along. The next Sussex meeting is Sunday week (25th from 2 - 6 in the afternoon) but Seaford may be a little too far.

Don't worry about the self-promotion thing. How are we supposed to know about things if people don't tell us! Storm in a teacup.

Kind regards,
Terry
Tab

Return to The Shadows