Self Promotion

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Self Promotion

Postby Brian Leary » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:59 pm

Here we go again another flame war.

Derogatory remarks? Not really--Heard and recieved much, much worse on here.

Getting called a c***t, now that's a derogatory remark. :shock:
Brian Leary

Postby dave robinson » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:27 pm

captainhaddock wrote:Oh come on Mr Robinson, surely even you must admit that the General Forum is just too wide now and contains very little that touches upon the real reason we all read this forum ie The Shadows and the various off shoots. I would invite you to look at the first few pages of this section and decide how many threads touch upon the "Band" and how many go off on an ever increasing tangent. I have as big a sense of humour as the next man, but really how can you compare a thread that posts copies of Shadows album sleeves together with reviews, with a Vendetta against a tribute act, or a fellow site members delight at retirement ( Yes, I do envy him !). I understand that the problem with all comment on any forum is that we can not gauge the mood of the poster by the tone of his/her voice and I would not in any way deny you the right to comment but why do you have to be so aggresive when all that Pedro and myself offered was fair comment?. I too offered fair comment - where was the anger, it was a reasonable statement based on common sense, or perhaps you are reading in to it something that wasn't there? I would really like to read more debate on this subject, both from the other three moderators Me too and any other Site contributors who dare risk your anger. :wtf: It really grieves me that there is any anger on this site at all, surely this site is just to talk about one of the worlds greatest Instrumental bands and not to engage in angry debate. :?:
- and less flaming ?
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby AlanMcKillop » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:21 pm

Oh well, since people don't think it appropriate to advertise their gigs, our band 'Into The Shadows' are playing at Gourock on 1st May, Cardross 8th May and The Lomand Hotel, Balloch on the 29th May. Further details can be provided upon request. :D
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby richard coates » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:25 pm

Hi everyone. I think the balance of this forum is perfect. Whilst Cliff and The Shadows were on tour last year there was a constant flow of information from many of this community informing us the info we all craved for, However, now the tour has been completed there is very little info to submit,but with some of the members providing entertainment throughout the country and advertising on this site gives some of the chance if we want to, to see these entertainers and listen to what they have to offer and you do not have to be a musician yourself to appreciate the great stuff that is played by these people of which some or all over it is Shadows music. So therefore it is essential that they advertise themselves or else how would we know who is playing where or in fact what they are doing as musicians.

This site is superb as it is and it would be nice if it continues in the same mode. I appreciate that everyone is entitled to their views, but keep it as a comment rather than turn it into a bitter dispute.

Regards Richard
richard coates

Postby Alan Prudhoe » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:26 pm

Pedro wrote:Is this site not in danger of become a platform for self promotion. I joined because I wanted to learn more about HBM &THE SHADOWS.
I really couldn't give a 'tinkers curse' about wannabee Shadows and their own tacit and open self promotion.

Does that include Shadowmania? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like Robbo says, all threads have a heading if you are not interested don't read them. :roll: :roll:
Alan Prudhoe

Postby kittycph » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:32 pm

I hope it's allright to show videos from Tilburg?
I did that in another thread.
At least it's not selfpromotion :D
kittycph

Postby Pedro » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:43 pm

dave robinson wrote:Pedro wrote 'I really couldn't give a 'tinkers curse' about wannabee Shadows and their own tacit and open self promotion.'

If you are not interested in something on the site, don't read it. There is no need for derogotary remarks, which are non productive. :|

Where????
Pedro

Postby Pedro » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:53 pm

Admin wrote:
Pedro wrote:I joined because I wanted to learn more about HBM &THE SHADOWS.

But remember that members of The Shadows, past and present, are members of this site and would not want details about their personal lives made public so please don't ask. Nicely worded questions about their recordings, live performances or equipment might well lead to an answer from The Shadows themselves, a member of their crew or one of the very knowledgeable members on this site.
Bob.

My interest lies in 'that sound' and my questions to date have been mainly confined to mundane things like 'plectrum type, springs on trem block etc.
I could be a little hypocritical as I too wanted to be hbm between 61-64 realised i was never going to make it and swopped my Strat for a sextant and joined the Blue Funnel Line. Spent the last 25 odd years in command of ULCCs but always maintained a keen ear for the HBM sound.
There you have it.
Pedro

Postby dave robinson » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:06 pm

Pedro, check your private messages.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Pedro » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:15 am

PMs checked and responded to.
Pedro