Self Promotion

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Self Promotion

Postby Mark Burton » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:07 am

Hmmmmn difficult one :?

I've always tried not to use this general message board to promote our gigs - however about a year ago several people grabbed me after a gig and said you MUST post your gigs on ShadowMusic - otherwise we wouldn't know they were taking place if we lived slightly out of the "catchment area" of the theatres concerned - since then I have posted a general message - after all it's about keeping the music alive.

Generally from the title you can work out if the topic is of interest or not - simply ignore the posting if there's no personal interest.

I think the people who run this site do a great job looking after the interests of the substantial membership, it would be impossible to deliver exactly what everyone wants from this site, so lets just accept it as a great place to discuss all aspects of The Shadows and their music :)

Mark.
Mark Burton
Mark Burton

Full Real Name: Mark Burton

Postby cockroach » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:37 am

To the Moderators,

Just a suggestion.

Would it help if people wishing to promote their shows etc used or were asked to use one of the other board headings, something perhaps more appropriate- such as 'Announcements', instead of 'General' etc? Or even if the moderators or webmaster(s) create(s) another specific category?

I know for a fact that there are some categories which I seldom open and check, if at all, because I have little or no interest in that information. I am not being difficult, but for example, I have little or no interest myself in reading threads dealing with tribute shows, club meetings etc - as I live in Australia, and unless I'm making a trip over to the UK by some financial miracle, there's not much chance of me buying a ticket or turning up with me guitar for a jam....

I notice you folk sometimes do actually move some posts to other more appropriate categories.

I usually try to choose the most obvious category when I want to post here. Quite apart from anything else, if the most obvious category in which to post is chosen, there is more likelihood of people noticing it and/or providing a response!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby ecca » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:46 pm

We've been here before on the last site and it got silly with messages being removed and shifted quick as a flash to a different heading.
It's just fine as it is.
ecca

Postby AlanMcKillop » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:09 pm

Agreed, if it aint' broke, don't fix it.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby Mike Honey » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:44 pm

Well i wont hesitate to promote our gigs. We always feature at least 7 Shad tunes, trouble is they are all in the Charente, Dordogne region of France! oh well maybe one day?

Mike :lol:
Mike Honey

Postby kipper » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:24 pm

AlanMcKillop wrote:Agreed, if it aint' broke, don't fix it.

here here. peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby OLDEREK » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:41 pm

ecca wrote:We've been here before on the last site and it got silly with messages being removed and shifted quick as a flash to a different heading.
It's just fine as it is.

I quite agree, the last site drove me round the bend with stuff being shifted all the time, that Is one thing here I wanted when we set this new site up, (to leave messages where they are put regardless !!)...............The main trouble on here is people don't use it as they should / could, if when you visit you click on "View New posts" you can then scroll down and chose what you want to read..................The good news is the site is staying the same as it is, so carry on posting, but if you feel your message needs to be in a special section post it there.........Cheers :D :D
OLDEREK

Postby David Martin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:08 pm

Frankly, I'm really happy that anyone with an active interest in keeping Shads music alive can post here... so Cds, gigs, bands, badges, backing tracks, photos... whatever! Bring it on...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Risky » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:30 pm

David Martin wrote:Frankly, I'm really happy that anyone with an active interest in keeping Shads music alive can post here... so Cds, gigs, bands, badges, backing tracks, photos... whatever! Bring it on...

Agreed :clap:
(ex-guitar player) - now a ukulele and ukulele bass player!
Update: After 10 years absence, now a born-again Hankie
Risky

Full Real Name: Phil Wolstenholme

Postby Amanda » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:05 pm

Mr Admin Wrote:

"Most things about the Shadows have been discussed in depth over the years ranging from what Hank has for breakfast to intricate and highly technical discussions about the guitars, amplifiers and drum kits."

Now there's a serious topic - What Hank had for breakfast on the Day Apache was recorded,
It may have influenced the sound! :lol:

Amanda (TIC)(Tin Hat On!)
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows