Fort Knox Info?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Fort Knox Info?

Postby George Geddes » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:01 pm

Actually, one that fascinates me is the Outlaws 'Spring is near', a Joe Meek composition from 1961, followed thereafter by the Shadows 'Spring is nearly here' which I think was partly written by Brian before he joined the band.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Re: Fort Knox Info?

Postby Arpeggio » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:25 pm

Hi George,
Yes...very similar titles. "Spring Is Near" (as you say) appeared in 1961. I'm sure that Joe Meek couldn't have had any knowledge of "Spring Is Nearly Here" as that didn't appear until "Out Of The Shadows" came out in late 1962. Brian told me that he'd written most of the melody (but the words - in his own opinion - were 'bloody awful') and submitted a demo of the song to Jeri Southern (who he admired greatly) in about 1956 / 57. Nothing came of it - and it was forgotten. Not long after he joined the Shads - Brian was apparently 'doodling' on a pianoforte when his 'old melody' suddenly came into his head. Bruce was sitting nearby and apparently liked what he heard. He suggested one or two minor changes / embellishments and came up with the idea for a new middle eight. The other Shads liked it and so, as Brian said - they recorded it and it went straight onto the LP.

Rob :D
Arpeggio

Previous

Return to The Shadows