Hank's lead guitar sound down through the years..

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Hank's lead guitar sound down through the years..

Postby Pedro » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:04 pm

EJK wrote:With regard to "That sound" it was not only Hank's lead guitar that made it but the whole group of the original members.

Bruce Welch's playing provided a perfect link between the lead guitar and the rhythm section of Tony Meehan and Jet Harris.
Jet and Tony's playing and style contributed greatly to "That sound" which made the band so popular and as time has gone in it could be viewed that perhaps their role in The Shadows has been minimised.

Like any good football team a good blend is required and the original line-up had that by the barrowload!

Did Jet and Tony really contribute as much as people think to the longevity of The Shadows. Their continued success must be down to Hank, Bruce and Brian.
As for Bass guitarist I think Alan Jones was excellent, but Mark Griffiths must be best of them all.
Pedro

Postby Tab » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:56 am

My view is that Jet and Tony's contribution is still under rated.

The quality and contribution that the rythmn section made is perfectly defined on the 'Me & My Shadows' album. The chemistry between Jet, Tony and Bruce is incredible. Bruce's chord playing is perfectly matched to Tony's drumming and Jet's bass runs are in a class of their own. If you listen to the tone of Hank's guitar (not the fills and solos etc which are Hank at his early best) it is nothing out of the ordinary. The Meazzi effect later is the Hank 'that sound' for me.

Although I am a great fan of Brian, Lic, John et al. the sound changed radically from the quartet that captured the imagination in those very early years.

Compare the Cliff numbers before and after Jet and Tony left and listen carefully to the drums and bass.
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby MeBHank » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:14 pm

Pedro wrote:As for Bass guitarist I think Alan Jones was excellent, but Mark Griffiths must be best of them all.

I agree that Mark seems a technically better player - to me he falls into the modern style of bass playing - but for the Shads' last three tours, Mark has done what was needed. He was more experimental during Hank's solo days, showing us more technical ingenuity, bringing new and different techniques into the mix.

But, having been privileged to work with Alan Jones on a fairly regular basis, I must say I've never heard Mark equal Alan's musicality. Alan understands music better than just about anyone I've ever met. He uses less clever techniques than Mark, he's more of a traditional player, but Alan always, without fail, lifts the whole band with his playing, always thinking about what will compliment the piece, whilst finding a way to show off his own playing just a little. Simply watching Alan play is spellbinding.

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby Fenderman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:19 pm

I'd say that Hank's playing (in fact all the Shad's) during the 2004 was among the best they've played. I think the break did the band some good, whether they were playing a tour a year up till 1990 the older songs were starting to sound a bit stale. On the 2004 tour they seemed to have adopted a new freshness and sounded more exciting.
I played the dvd 'At their very best' (1989) then 'The final tour' back to back last week and on the final tour the playing was a whole lot better. Not that i'm saying Hank was ever a bad player! Maybe it's to do with better technology?
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby des mcneill » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:17 am

I find it bizarre that anyone can doubt Jet and Tony's contribution to the success of the Shads. Every one of the original four was responsible for both the sound and the success. Without that early success the following years may not have happened.
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Postby Apache1 » Sun May 02, 2010 11:46 pm

MeBHank wrote:
Pedro wrote:As for Bass guitarist I think Alan Jones was excellent, but Mark Griffiths must be best of them all.

I agree that Mark seems a technically better player - to me he falls into the modern style of bass playing - but for the Shads' last three tours, Mark has done what was needed. He was more experimental during Hank's solo days, showing us more technical ingenuity, bringing new and different techniques into the mix.

But, having been privileged to work with Alan Jones on a fairly regular basis, I must say I've never heard Mark equal Alan's musicality. Alan understands music better than just about anyone I've ever met. He uses less clever techniques than Mark, he's more of a traditional player, but Alan always, without fail, lifts the whole band with his playing, always thinking about what will compliment the piece, whilst finding a way to show off his own playing just a little. Simply watching Alan play is spellbinding.

J

With such an important tour as the 50th Anniversary Tour Cliff & The Shads had the choice of Bass players they chose Mark Griffiths that says it all for me.
Apache1

Postby JimN » Mon May 03, 2010 12:12 am

There is always scope for legitimate expression of one's preferences - as preferences.

But this thread has now taken an unwise and undesirable turn.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Fenderman » Mon May 03, 2010 10:44 am

I'd agree and say Mark Griffiths is a superb bass player, his bass playing is more adventurous than Alan's. I'm not saying Alan is a bad player i just prefer Mark's playing.

Moderator comment: Let's return to the subject of the thread please. DavidM :evil:
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby David Martin » Mon May 03, 2010 12:15 pm

I agree with Jim. Let's return to the original purpose of this thread... :shock:

For me, the sound of Hank prior to Wonderful Land, was, and is, the most exciting guitar sound (in all its varieties) I had every heard - only equalled later by the sound of Clapton on the "Beano" album, and, latterly, Jeff Beck.

But when I returned to Shads music in 1996, and started to listen to all the Burns era music that I had dismissed when younger, I was intrigued by that "dry", nasal, sustained quality exhibited by some of the recordings, and, as you know, set out with my colleagues in Legend to recreate that and all the other Burns era sounds. There are some great ones... too many to pick out. It matters not to me that Hank doesn't rate it, or that he feels now that he "was beguiled by Maj7ths"... there is some outstanding music and sound in that era - as well as some ill advised adventures a la Dear Old Mrs Bell... Creating those sounds, and learning to play both parts of double tracked tunes simultaneously, live (Rosie, Lady P, and Fandango spring to mind) has kept me quiet for years...

And finally, have you listened really carefully to the keyboard part in Maggie's Samba? Could that be Hank through his Leslie etc? I know I can replicate that solo on a guitar with a really authentic sound...

What do you think? ;)
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby bgohara » Mon May 03, 2010 12:36 pm

David - interesting contribution - thanks for posting. I know you tackled the warlord when in legend - terrific version. Did you ever do stingray?
Bernie
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows