Love DeLuxe/Sweet Saturday Night question

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Love DeLuxe/Sweet Saturday Night question

Postby drakula63 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:42 pm

I was just wondering if anyone knows whether or not Hank used his Roland Guitar Synth on the B-side of Love Deluxe, Sweet Saturday Night ?

Having heard a live recording, and seen a pic, I know that Hank used the guitar synth on Love Deluxe when they played it on the 1978 tour - I think he also used it on Honourable Puff-Puff and maybe Flingel Bunt. Now I'm no expert (on anything), but it sounds to me like he does use it on SSN, as the solo doesn't quite sound like it's being played on a guitar - something about the way the notes bend and decay. I wonder if, during the same song, it's the guitar synth doing the little 'bleep, bleep' sounds as well?

Just wondering...
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Love DeLuxe/Sweet Saturday Night question

Postby drakula63 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:45 pm

Oh well, guess it was a bit too obscure...even by my standards. Thanks for looking, sorry no-one was able to help.

:cry:
drakula63

Postby iefje » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:15 pm

The 'bleep, bleep' sounds sound very similar to those in "Jungle Jam", in that song played by John Farrar. Hank played a Gibson guitar during "Love Deluxe" on stage in 1978.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby JimN » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:39 pm

The guitar played live on stage for Love Deluxe in 1978 was not a Gibson. It was a Roland guitar synthesiser - the GR-500.

There's a picture of one here (the guitar synth is all the gear you see, not just the bit looks like a guitar):

http://tinyurl.com/39y6ar8

The bleeps on Sweet Saturday Night might have been played on it or something like it. But they could as easily - perhaps more easily - have been played on a keyboard synth, or even on the "Synthi Hi-Fli" unit the Shads were using around the mid-70s.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby iefje » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:50 am

JimN wrote:The guitar played live on stage for Love Deluxe in 1978 was not a Gibson. It was a Roland guitar synthesiser - the GR-500.

There's a picture of one here (the guitar synth is all the gear you see, not just the bit looks like a guitar):

The bleeps on Sweet Saturday Night might have been played on it or something like it. But they could as easily - perhaps more easily - have been played on a keyboard synth, or even on the "Synthi Hi-Fli" unit the Shads were using around the mid-70s.

JN

I have a video of a 1978 performance in black and white, so I couldn't clearly see the brand of the guitar, but to me the shape of the guitar is very similar to a Gibson, though it is Roland guitar synthesizer. I very special instrument, thank you for the picture.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:27 pm

iefje wrote:
JimN wrote:The guitar played live on stage for Love Deluxe in 1978 was not a Gibson. It was a Roland guitar synthesiser - the GR-500.

JN

I have a video of a 1978 performance in black and white, so I couldn't clearly see the brand of the guitar, but to me the shape of the guitar is very similar to a Gibson, though it is Roland guitar synthesizer. I very special instrument, thank you for the picture.

Thanks for that. I am intrigued, iefje. Does this mean that you have a video (albeit in B&W) of a Shads gig from 1978? I've got a fairly good audio recording of a 1978 gig, plus the promo vid they made for Love DeLuxe, but I have never seen any video footage from their '78 tour. Any chance of a copy?
drakula63

Return to The Shadows