OT: John Jorgenson

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

OT: John Jorgenson

Postby George Geddes » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:14 am

Thankfully, the volcanic ash moved away, and JJ and his band (shrunk from a Quintet to a Quartet, and with a stand-in bassist!) made it to Glasgow last night. An outstanding evening of John's gypsy jazz mixing originals, Django numbers - including a superb 'Nuages' - a Hellecasters track, Louis Armstrong vocal, a bit of bazouki and an impromptu vocal romp through 'I fought the law'. We didn't get his version of' Man of Mystery' as an encore, but you can't have everything.

Despite jet-lag and playing a 90 minute set, John was more than happy to stay talking to fans and signing CDs afterwards. Another true gentleman of music. He's got more gigs in the UK in the coming week, so if you get the chance...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Re: OT: John Jorgenson

Postby captainhaddock » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:28 pm

It's time to hang my head in shame, until last week I had never heard of John Jorgenson but I was looking on you-tube when I stumbled upon his version of "Man Of Mystery". I was stunned, what a talent this man is. The best thing to come out of Iceland since.......Frozen Gateaux?
captainhaddock

Postby ala1940 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:14 pm

John also played the part of Django in the film "Head in the Clouds"
ala1940

Postby George Geddes » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:38 pm

Once you've looked at the JJ stuff, then have a look at the Hellecasters...

Apologies for mis-spelling Bouzouki - I had one of JJ's anecdotes in my head at the time!

Do go and see him if you get the chance.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby hbmartin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:57 pm

He played at the Le QuecumBar last night and in the audience was Hank, his manager Brian Goode and I think it was Mark Griffiths was also with them. I spoke with them for a bout 5 minutes. JJ was fantastic
hbmartin

Return to The Shadows