The Shadows meet The Who

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

The Shadows meet The Who

Postby iefje » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:19 am

Does anyone know if The Shadows have ever met all of The Who? I know that Hank has played lead guitar on Roger Daltrey's album "One Of The Boys", he probably met John Entwistle as well during those sessions, as John played bass on that album. Hank and Pete Townshend have played together on Paul McCartney's "Rockestra" session. Also, I read in one or two of The Shadows' tour books that Hank and Pete have met in the 1960's when The Who's "I Can't Explain" was just released.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Re: The Shadows meet The Who

Postby Arpeggio » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:31 am

It's basically as you described and as outlined in "The Story Of the Shadows". I don't think that Hank ever met Keith Moon. His encounter with Pete Townshend in the 60s was, I believe, purely by chance in the King's Road / Carnaby Street area in a fashion boutique. I do wonder (although it's not documented) if they ever came across each other during recordings for TOTP. Hank was certainly a fan of the Who & Pete Townshend. I do know that Pete Townshend was certainly present backstage after the Shadows 'final' appearance in the UK in 2004.

Best wishes,

Rob :)
Arpeggio

Postby drakula63 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:42 am

Would I be right in saying that both Hank and Pete played on Paul McCartney's 'Rockestra' track - which I think was on his album 'Back to the Egg' (1979?)???
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Arpeggio » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:07 pm

Yep - that's correct - see Lefje's opening remarks.

Bests....Rob :D
Arpeggio

Postby drakula63 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:24 pm

I really should pay more attention! Duh!!!

:lol:
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Return to The Shadows