"Foot Tapper" Film Version ?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

"Foot Tapper" Film Version ?

Postby eugene » Sat May 01, 2010 11:01 am

Hi There !

I've noticed that "Foot Tapper" on the film of "Summer Holiday" sounds different from the studio versions.(Single or LP)

There are some film versions of the shad's instrumental tunes unissued.

Will you agree that "Foot Tapper" is the film version on the sceen of the bus ? :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QQG6InJ ... re=related
eugene

Full Real Name: yuji yamaguchi

Re: "Foot Tapper" Film Version ?

Postby Didier » Sat May 01, 2010 11:09 am

eugene wrote:Hi There !
I've noticed that "Foot Tapper" on the film of "Summer Holiday" sounds different from the studio versions.(Single or LP)

According to Malcolm Campbell's book " A pocket guide to Shadow Music" there was two recordings of "Foot Tapper" 10/12/62 (album version) and 8/1/63 (single version).

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Fenderman » Sat May 01, 2010 11:10 am

I've noticed that some Shad's film versions of tracks are different as well, some have been released some not. I'm sure i read somewhere that the film version of 'Foot Tapper' can't be released due to serious technical defects on the master tape.
There is an album version of the track (also on an EP) which may be the film version but i can't be sure as i haven't seen the film for years and can't compare.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Arpeggio » Sat May 01, 2010 12:15 pm

I'm sure that we all remember the reissued / re - mastered CD of "Summer Holiday" from a few years ago which featured previously unissued outtakes. The film soundtrack version of "Foot Tapper" would have surely been on there - but, as Fenderman stated, the master tape for it was somehow damaged and seemingly beyond restoration. As Brian Bennett & Bruce Welch both told me (on separate occasions), Myers and Cass wrote most of the material and the Shads wrote tracks like "Round and Round" & "Les Girls" to fit specific scenes. But they were forgetting the teenage market and eventually realised that they were a little short of materail. Amazingly, it is true that "Summer Holiday" itself, "Big News", "Bachelor Boy" and "Foot Tapper" were all literally added at 'the last minute' - which is why the Shads re - recorded "Foot Tapper" for single release as they felt that the album version had been very rushed and that they could improve upon it.

Incidentally - I certainly missed this item of news from a couple of years ago and thought that it might be of interest:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... -cast.html

Best wishes,

Rob :D
Arpeggio

Postby chas » Sat May 01, 2010 2:20 pm

I am I right in recalling that there was some contractual thing whereby music recorded for the films had to be recorded at film company's studios - in this case Elstree (as opposed to Abbey Road), which would explain why some tracks were re-recorded, i.e. Foot Tapper (and The Savage from The Young Ones) and others...
And would I also be correct in re-calling that this arrangement was done away with shortly after, which is why tracks from Wonderful Life and The Beatles films featured Abbey Road recorded material........?
Jim?

There was a limited run of soundtrack albums (300?) made available by Elstree as well, I believe for those who worked on the film(?) in plain sleeves(?)....rare and fetch good money these days...

Chas.
chas

Full Real Name: Chas de Lacy

Postby JimN » Sat May 01, 2010 4:13 pm

Didier wrote:
eugene wrote:Hi There !

According to Malcolm Campbell's book " A pocket guide to Shadow Music" there was two recordings of "Foot Tapper" 10/12/62 (album version) and 8/1/63 (single version).
Didier

You can say the same about several Cliff Richard and/or Shadows recordings from films up to and including "Wonderful Life". The version of Foot Tapper heard on the film soundtrack (supposedly played on a record-player on the bus as it moves through the night after the stop in Paris) is a third version, never commercially released, not even on the enhanced and expanded Summer Holiday CD of a few years ago.

Before "Finders Keepers", every performance in a film was a different version from those available on any record.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Didier » Sat May 01, 2010 4:13 pm

BTW, "Foot Tapper" was composed by Hank and Bruce at the request of French filmmaker Jacques Tati for a project which never came out. So the Shadows proposed it when asked for an additional tune for the Summer Holiday film soundtrack.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby UlrichS » Sat May 01, 2010 5:04 pm

chas wrote:There was a limited run of soundtrack albums (300?) made available by Elstree as well, I believe for those who worked on the film(?) in plain sleeves(?)....rare and fetch good money these days...
Chas.

Chas,

you are right with the soundtrack album, which was given to people involved with the film and it was the first issue of this kind made by the Elstree studios on the Elstree Extra Range (e.e.r.) Sound label. Only 80 copies were made.
The second issue was the soundtrack from "Wonderful Life".

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby chas » Mon May 03, 2010 12:03 pm

JimN wrote:Before "Finders Keepers", every performance in a film was a different version from those available on any record.

JN

That's interesting Jim, I hadn't noticed that to be the case with Wonderful Life - I'll have to watch (listen) to it more carefully when I've got a moment.

Chas.
chas

Postby chas » Mon May 03, 2010 12:09 pm

UlrichS wrote:
Chas,

you are right with the soundtrack album, which was given to people involved with the film and it was the first issue of this kind made by the Elstree studios on the Elstree Extra Range (e.e.r.) Sound label. Only 80 copies were made.
The second issue was the soundtrack from "Wonderful Life".

Ulrich

Thanks for that info. Ulrich, and great to see those images (I don't know why I thought 300 - 80 is even rarer) - I wish I had those in my collection!!

Chas
chas

Next

Return to The Shadows