John Farrar - In The Studio

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: John Farrar - In The Studio

Postby Lee Restarick » Mon May 03, 2010 9:38 am

He looks younger than he did in the mid 70s...amazing!
Lee Restarick

Postby Tone » Mon May 03, 2010 11:48 am

Hi Phil

I enjoyed that clip. Thanks for posting.

It's filled in a gap in my knowledge because I didn't know "Had to Be" was a Cliff/Olivia vocal from the Heathcliff musical. I knew it was written by John because I have it on the "One of our Shadows is Missing" album by the Local Heroes and a very nice instrumental version it is too.

Cheers.

Tony
Tone

Full Real Name: Tony Ramsden

Postby alewis41 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:10 am

Thanks for posting, Phil.

Here's a photo from that same recording session...

Moonee Ponds .jpg
(97.32 KiB) Downloaded 5351 times
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby flingelbunt » Wed May 05, 2010 8:48 pm

Thanks for that Phil!

What a talent John was/is!! I can clearly remember John's wife Pat Carrol as she was then, playing keyboards backing Marvin & Farrar at the 'La Dolce Vita' night club in Birmingham in 1973 (I think!). I spoke to Hank after that gig, and he confirmed that Pat was playing additional notes to some of Hank's lead lines on 'Turn around & touch me' and other numbers. I had also seen her as part of the 'Pat & Olivia' duo when they supported the Shads theatre tour in '67.
If memory serves me right, I believe Clem Cattini was on drums at the 'Dolce Vita' gig with Mo Foster on bass- great gig!!

Maurice ;)
flingelbunt

Postby Shad1 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:56 pm

Thanks for the posting. Great to see John Farrar again. Watching 'Had To Be' (Cliff and Olivia) I was reminded how brilliant his music was (is). There are so many 'Farrarisms' in his music - (and the rest of the soundtrack to Heathcliff) - it's such a pleasure to listen to. The perfect example is 'Misunderstood Man' - sit down and listen to it and try to count the 'Farrarisms' either in guitar playing or harmonies - what a singular talent he has and I don't hesitate to say he's one of my guitar heroes.

Malc.
Shad1

Full Real Name: Malcolm C McEwan

Postby captainhaddock » Sat May 08, 2010 10:06 am

In 1974, I was lucky enough to be able to see Hank and John at Norwich Theatre Royal. They were actually appearing as part of a variety show, rather than performing a concert in their own right. The other acts on the bill were a comedian called
Brian Marshall, John's Wife Pat Carroll sang and Labi Siffre who actually seemed to be the main act. I wonder if this show was part of a tour and whether any of you saw it in your own home towns. Hank and John performed a combination of Shadows and M,W & F material and were brilliant, however I can't recall who backed them and as my programme has long since gone awol, I have no way of finding out. Any ideas ?
captainhaddock

Postby Pierre TEODORI » Sat May 08, 2010 10:30 am

Hi,

I agree with Malc. John is one of my favourite guitarist, composer, arranger and singer.His work with The Shadows, Marvin, Welch and Farrar , Olivia Newton-John and Cliff is tremendous. I'm happy to have dedicated my album "Influences" to him and The Shadows.

Wishing you all a great weekend.

Pierre
Pierre TEODORI

Postby alewis41 » Sun May 09, 2010 4:32 am

captainhaddock wrote:... Hank and John performed a combination of Shadows and M,W & F material and were brilliant, however I can't recall who backed them and as my programme has long since gone awol, I have no way of finding out. Any ideas ?

Mo Foster supported Hank and John on some dates in 1973/4. Mo was sporting a haircut similar to an "Afro" in those days. Ring any bells?
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby captainhaddock » Sun May 09, 2010 9:36 am

Hello Andrew,
Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply. I must admit that in the deep recesses of my brain, the afro hair style rings a bell, but 36 years is a long time isn't it !!!!, All the best, Philip.
captainhaddock

Postby StuartD » Sun May 09, 2010 10:04 am

HI
Mo Foster, Dave Olney and Lem Lubin all played Bass for Hank and John and Andrew Steele, formerly with the Herd played Drums. On their first gigs, at Wakefield Theatre Club, the bass player was Alan Jones, it was his first time with them and Bobby Worth, who used to be the Drummer at the Talk of the Town.

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Next

Return to The Shadows