Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: John Farrar - In The Studio

Postby alewis41 » Sun May 09, 2010 7:07 pm

Stuart, You Are (as always) The Man!
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby RayL » Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am

What is the capacity of the Spa Grand Hall in Scarborough? 500? At an average ticket price of 75p then even a full house would only raise £350. Now at least half of that would have to go to the venue. Then the support would need paying, as would the bass and drums. If Bruce had appeared, that's a three-way split of whatever is left - maybe £20 - £25 each. OK this was back in the seventies, but how did artists of that calibre make it work for that money?

Ray L
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby drakula63 » Mon May 10, 2010 9:57 am

John Farrar - along with Cliff, Hank, OLivia etc... - seems to have been blessed with eternal youth. Maybe they all drank from the same fountain on one of those far eastern tours? He also puts in an appearance at Cliff's 60th birthday bash back in 2000 - I know 'cos I have a video of it which I got with a special edition of Hello! And guess what, neither he nor Cliff now look any older!

I remember there being a period in the mid/late '70s when it seemed that most bass guitarists sported the obviously very trendy beard/curly hair/shades combination. The first time I saw Alan Jones (in the video for Love DeLuxe) this was how he looked. Likewise Mo Foster at the Thank You Very Much gig. I seem to recall that this was a look also favoured by Jeff Lynne and Gerry Rafferty amongst many others.

Ahhh, them were the days...

;)
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby captainhaddock » Mon May 10, 2010 1:32 pm

Times were different in the 70's. When I went to see Hank and John at my local Theatre, the only thing available as a keepsake was a small A5 sized black and white programme. I had to visit my local record shop the next day in order to buy something to remember it by, a Cassette of the Shadows "Greatest Hits". The only "Mouse Mat" we had was under the Hamster's cage.
captainhaddock

Previous

Return to The Shadows