zellar recording studio birmingham

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

zellar recording studio birmingham

Postby richard coates » Wed May 05, 2010 11:44 am

Hi Everyone.
A question for all Midland born or based members on this site. Can anyone remember Zellar recording studio, Calthorpe house, Edgebaston, Birmingham and if they do have they any contact with the owners?

In particular I am doing some work on old Clayton Peacock stuff with two of the original band members, one who lives in Holland and the bass player who is Uk based and they used the above studio late 60s/early 70s. Can anyone assist please?

Regards Richard
richard coates

Re: zellar recording studio birmingham

Postby flingelbunt » Wed May 05, 2010 8:39 pm

Hi Richard!

I don't now remember the owners, but back in the 80's, my band back then 'Pastiche', recorded at Zella Studios in Birmingham!! We were essentially a Dinner/Dance band, consisting of keyboards, myself on lead/rhythm guitar, bass and drums, and recorded some of our jazz pieces, like 'Cherokee', 'Take Five' etc., and also recorded 'Don't Cry for Me Argentina' a la Shadows!! I have a distinct memory that the studio was a converted church, and there wasn't a great deal of room to set up, as there was loads of 'stuff' lying around. We have a tape of the sessions, but sadly, no record of the owner. As it happens, the band is reforming for 2 dates later this year- one in Sutton Coldfield, the other in Luton! If any of the old band members can remember any details, I'll post it here!

Maurice ;)
flingelbunt

Postby richard coates » Wed May 05, 2010 10:46 pm

Hi Maurice. Johnny Haynes was the owner and you are right about it been a old church. Let me know about the gig in Sutton Coldfield as I come to Tamworth on a regular basis I might have the chance to see your gig.

regards Richard
richard coates

Postby richard coates » Wed May 05, 2010 11:00 pm

Hi Maurice. I have just got in touch with the owner Johnny on friends united
regards Richard
richard coates

Postby ecca » Thu May 06, 2010 10:53 am

Hapqy days, I did some recordiing at Zella in the 70s.
ecca

Postby richard coates » Thu May 06, 2010 11:24 pm

The good old days Ecca. I have spent many hours crammed in that place. Always when it was a hot day outside.
regards Richard
richard coates

Return to The Shadows