Hits not on early albums

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Hits not on early albums

Postby Didier » Fri May 07, 2010 8:51 am

Iain_P wrote:In those days singles sales were massive. To get a gold disc you had to sell a million and plenty of records did. (I think you get a gold for a tenth of that now?)

Nowadays in UK a gold disc is for 400,000 singles or 100,000 albums.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun May 09, 2010 11:15 am

Thanks for the correction Didier!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Bill Bowley » Sat May 15, 2010 2:07 pm

StuartD wrote:HI

I don't think the Shadows or Hank had a single off an Album until MWF with Faithfull. Cliff was the same, apart from Film and Pantomime Albums. I think It'll Be Me from 32 minutes and 17 seconds was the first and there weren't too many after that until the very late 60's period. Please Don't Tease and Nine Times Out of Ten weren't on Me and My Shadows and Gee Whizz I'ts You was a South African single.

Interesting thread.

Regards

Stuart

Sacha?
;)
Bill Bowley

Postby JimN » Sat May 15, 2010 3:52 pm

StuartD wrote:I don't think the Shadows or Hank had a single off an Album until MWF with Faithfull. Cliff was the same, apart from Film and Pantomime Albums. I think It'll Be Me from 32 minutes and 17 seconds was the first and there weren't too many after...

As a matter of fact, I recall that the UK popular press reported that at the time (autumn 1962) as news, speculating that fans might want to save themselves the price of the single if they were going to buy the album anyway.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby StuartD » Sat May 15, 2010 6:11 pm

Bill Bowley wrote:
StuartD wrote:HI

I don't think the Shadows or Hank had a single off an Album until MWF with Faithfull. Cliff was the same, apart from Film and Pantomime Albums. I think It'll Be Me from 32 minutes and 17 seconds was the first and there weren't too many after that until the very late 60's period. Please Don't Tease and Nine Times Out of Ten weren't on Me and My Shadows and Gee Whizz I'ts You was a South African single.

Interesting thread.

Regards

Stuart

Sacha?
;)

Hi Bill

Forgot about that one!!

Regards

Stu
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby JimN » Sat May 15, 2010 6:42 pm

StuartD wrote:I don't think the Shadows or Hank had a single off an Album until MWF with Faithfull. Cliff was the same, apart from Film and Pantomime Albums. I think It'll Be Me from 32 minutes and 17 seconds was the first and there weren't too many after that until the very late 60's period. Please Don't Tease and Nine Times Out of Ten weren't on Me and My Shadows and Gee Whizz I'ts You was a South African single.

Pointedly, the sleeve notes for the 1963 UK compilation "Cliff's Hit Album" make the point that Gee Whiz It's You is omitted precisely because it was included on the "Me And My Shadows" LP.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Bill Bowley » Sun May 16, 2010 12:40 am

Stu,

I guess 'Sacha' would be easily forgotten as single, given (if my memory is correct) it was a top ten hit in Australia but seemed to be 'left out' on the UK hit parade..........great number though, IMHO! ;)

Regards
Bill Bowley

Postby StuartD » Sun May 16, 2010 9:52 am

Bill Bowley wrote:Stu,

I guess 'Sacha' would be easily forgotten as single, given (if my memory is correct) it was a top ten hit in Australia but seemed to be 'left out' on the UK hit parade..........great number though, IMHO! ;)

Regards

Agree. The Australians know a good tune when they hear one!!

Stu
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Previous

Return to The Shadows