Hits not on early albums

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Hits not on early albums

Postby Shad1 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:00 am

I'm sure it may have been discussed before but I dont understand why The Shadows singles - Apache for example - were not included in their albums (until The Shadows Greatest Hits '63).....was this the norm at the time?

Malc
Shad1

Full Real Name: Malcolm C McEwan

Re: Hits not on early albums

Postby JimN » Thu May 06, 2010 1:22 am

Yes!

Cliff's hits weren't included on an album until "Cliff's Hit Album", released at about the same time as "The Shadows' Greatest Hits". Not unless you count The Young Ones being on the LP of the same title.

Back then - pre-Please Please Me, it was more usual for hits to be made available on EPs soon after the single hit.

JN

PS: This only applies to the UK. The Shads' early hits had been included on LP in South Africa in 1961, and in France in 1962 or so.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Didier » Thu May 06, 2010 10:09 am

JimN wrote:The Shads' early hits had been included on LP in South Africa in 1961, and in France in 1962 or so.

A 10" LP was released in France in 1962 as "The Best of the Shadows" with : Apache / Midnight / Kon-Tiki / The Frightened City / F.B.I. / Shazam / Atlantis / It's Been A Blue Day / Dakota / Shinding (Columbia FP 1160 mono).

BTW, for some strange local marketing reasons (which lasted until the mid sixties) singles were used for jukeboxes only. In record stores you could find EPs only, so an artist needed to have 4 tunes to have a disc released.
This is why the studio versions of Jet Black and Driftin' were added to Apache and Quatermaster's Stores for the French release.
Another local particularity : the first two albums were released on 10" LPs with all the vocal tunes removed !

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby JimN » Thu May 06, 2010 11:07 am

Didier wrote:
JimN wrote:The Shads' early hits had been included on LP in South Africa in 1961, and in France in 1962 or so.

A 10" LP was released in France in 1962 as "The Best of the Shadows" with : Apache / Midnight / Kon-Tiki / The Frightened City / F.B.I. / Shazam / Atlantis / It's Been A Blue Day / Dakota / Shinding (Columbia FP 1160 mono).r

Hmmm...

I'm afraid that that can't be correct, Dider, mon ami.

Shazam! (studio recording), Atlantis, and It's Been A Blue Day, and Shindig, were not released until 1963. And three of them weren't even recorded until 1963! ;)

JimN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby chronikman-ch » Thu May 06, 2010 1:44 pm

Didier wrote:

A 10" LP was released in France in 1962 as "The Best of the Shadows" with : Apache / Midnight / Kon-Tiki / The Frightened City / F.B.I. / Shazam / Atlantis / It's Been A Blue Day / Dakota / Shinding (Columbia FP 1160 mono).

Hi Didier
I think the 10" LP FP 1160 releases was 1964 as third 10", after 1961 "Dance With The Shadows" FP 1139, 1962 "Out Of The Shadows" FP 1143
Heinz
chronikman-ch

Full Real Name: Heinz M. Rolli

Postby StuartD » Thu May 06, 2010 2:59 pm

HI

I don't think the Shadows or Hank had a single off an Album until MWF with Faithfull. Cliff was the same, apart from Film and Pantomime Albums. I think It'll Be Me from 32 minutes and 17 seconds was the first and there weren't too many after that until the very late 60's period. Please Don't Tease and Nine Times Out of Ten weren't on Me and My Shadows and Gee Whizz I'ts You was a South African single.

Interesting thread.

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby EJK » Thu May 06, 2010 3:49 pm

Shad1 wrote:I'm sure it may have been discussed before but I dont understand why The Shadows singles - Apache for example - were not included in their albums (until The Shadows Greatest Hits '63).....was this the norm at the time?

Malc

Back in those days it was accepted as the norm that singles were not on LPs as people expected LPs to consist of new stuff. If a few singles or B sides were included it would not have gone down well as people thought that they were getting done as they already had the tracks on a single!

When comparing the price of an LP then to a teenagers week's wages in 1961/1962 one can see why!

On a related note, it was financially trying for us to pay up guitars/amps/drums etc. especially when the legal age for HP was 21. Fortunately some music shops trusted us under 21s to keep to our word by paying weeky or monthly with no legal paperwork and as it transpired it all worked out fine. Perhaps that made it all the more enjoyable by gaining a sense of achievement than getting it handed on a plate?
EJK

Full Real Name: Eric Kidd

Postby RayL » Thu May 06, 2010 5:11 pm

It's interesting to compare the UK's 'no A's or B's on an LP' philosophy with Jamie, who had the USA's top instrumental attraction, Duane Eddy.

Duane's first album Have Twangy Guitar Will Travel contained five tracks (out of 12) which had been A or B sides in the USA, and a further two LP tracks were used for a USA single just a month after the LP had been released. However, after that Lee Hazlewood (Duane's producer) exerted more control over the record company and by Duane's third (and greatest) album The Twangs The Thang, professional pride as much as anything made sure that all the tracks were new.

Ray L
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Didier » Thu May 06, 2010 5:25 pm

JimN wrote:
Didier wrote:

A 10" LP was released in France in 1962 as "The Best of the Shadows" with : Apache / Midnight / Kon-Tiki / The Frightened City / F.B.I. / Shazam / Atlantis / It's Been A Blue Day / Dakota / Shinding (Columbia FP 1160 mono).r

Hmmm...

I'm afraid that that can't be correct, Dider, mon ami.

Shazam! (studio recording), Atlantis, and It's Been A Blue Day, and Shindig, were not released until 1963. And three of them weren't even recorded until 1963! ;)

JimN

You are right, this album wasn't released in 1962, but later, probably in 1964 as wrote Heinz. The discography I checked was wrong, which means that there was no French LP with the Shadows' early hits in 1962...

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu May 06, 2010 5:37 pm

In those days singles sales were massive. To get a gold disc you had to sell a million and plenty of records did. (I think you get a gold for a tenth of that now?)

Albums, or LPs, were expensive and didn't sell nearly so well. There was a school of thought that if a number wasn't good enough - meaning good enough to be released as a single - then it could go on the next LP. Or it could go on the B side which people tended to play rarely even though the sales counted equally.

That said, Please Please Me was on the first Beatles LP. But She Loves You, which was huge, was "only" a single. And its B side must rank as one of the most undeserving big sellers ever!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Next

Return to The Shadows