Re - Formed Scorpions - Rockin' In Redhill (Friday 4th June)

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re - Formed Scorpions - Rockin' In Redhill (Friday 4th June)

Postby Arpeggio » Thu May 06, 2010 12:11 pm

Great news for all lovers of guitar Instrumentals. The UK Scorpions were a fantastic instrumental group way back in the early days of the UK music scene. Like so many, they never reaped the success they richly deserved. They're certainly not a Shadows band - but I make no apologies for this posting. Whilst they're not a Shadows tribute - they certainly admired Hank, Bruce, Jet & Tony and included many Shads instros in their stage act 50 or so years ago! Tracks such as "Ghost Riders In The Sky" (not based on any commercially - released version at the time) and "Rockin' At The Phil" were truly outstanding and should have been big hits. Like the Shads they also loved Buddy Holly. Unlike the Shads - they recorded for producer Joe Meek at 304, Holloway Road (actually - Tony Meehan, Brian Bennett, Licorice Locking and Jet Harris - did record for Joe Meek come to think of it!!). Anyway - there will be Buddy Holly numbers, Shadows numbers, R'n'R vocals and other guitar instrumentals in their sets. A great opportunity to see the Scorpions once more (as they have been 'in retirement' for several years). All proceeds will be donated to charity. Here are the details.

The original Scorpions return for a one-off charity gig.

Ted Barber, Ivor Knight, John Barber and Keith Strickland.

DATE: Friday June 4 2010 9.00 p.m. start
VENUE: The Old Oak PH, 40 Somerset Road, Meadvale, RH1 6LT
OCCASION: Redhill & Reigate Live 2010 (http://www.redhillandreigatelive.co.uk/ )
Raising money for the Children's trust in Tadworth, Surrey (http://www.thechildrenstrust.org.uk/)

Should be a great night! See you there??

Rob :D
Arpeggio

Re: Re - Formed Scorpions - Rockin' In Redhill (Friday 4th June)

Postby Tony Szpala » Sun May 09, 2010 9:59 am

Rob

Wholeheartedly agree with your comments about the Scorpions. "Rockin' at the Phil" is a very dynamic piece - truly outstanding. Do you know if anyone will be videoing the event ? It would be good to see them playing via video footage.

Best Wishes

Tony
Tony Szpala

Location: Ripley, Derbyshire email address: tony.szpala@hotmail.com
Full Real Name: Tony Szpala

Postby Arpeggio » Mon May 10, 2010 10:01 am

Hi Tony,
I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't at least some people there with video recorders. I'll keep you posted.

Best wishes,

Rob :D
Arpeggio

Postby Alan Taylor » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:21 pm

It was great to see The Scorpions together again, here's a link to Riders In The Sky from that gig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C77L3wvVtXQ

Alan
Alan Taylor

Full Real Name: Alan Taylor

Postby RayL » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:57 am

Cor! If I'd known that my little 'wobblycam' effort was going to be seen by the entire known universe I'd have brought in an OB scanner, generator truck, proper lighting, multitracked the sound . . . . . . .

Ray L
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Paul Creasey » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:37 am

"Wobblycam" or not - a smashing clip from The Scorpions gig - thanks for posting it! :thumbup:
Looks like a good pub, too - Adnams sign in the background.
We have a saying in our band, pinched from an American Blues singer who tours the UK, "The more YOU drink, the better WE sound!" Seems to work quite well in pubs that sell Adnams ales! ;)
.................but it seems that The Scorpions would sound good ANYWHERE :clap:
Regards
Paul :wave:
Paul Creasey

Postby RayL » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:54 pm

John B., the mad loon, has now posted seven clips from the gig on YouTube
ROUTE 66
CROSSROADS
WHITE ROOM
TELSTAR
JOHNNY B GOODE
SCORPIO
RIDERS IN THE SKY
and can all be found by searching "Scorpions Redhill"

Oh, and for anyone desperate for Adnams when visiting the great Metrolops, it's available on draught a few hundred yards from Buck House as the crow flies* (I'll be supping a pint or two there on Wednesday night).
*pm for details

Ray L
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Paul Creasey » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:42 pm

Hello Ray,
Just home after enjoying a Barnsley Chop and three pints of Broadside (SWMBO driving!! :P ) at our (fairly) local.
Unfortunately, no live music.
Regards
Paul
P.S. Message to self, and other "Life Story" members - it's about time we did another Sunday night gig at The Royal Oak, Aubourn - whad'ya reckon??
Paul Creasey

Return to The Shadows