Re: The Shadows "The Final Tour" on Blu-Ray

Postby wstagner » Mon May 24, 2010 5:06 am

The USA version is released in June:

http://www.amazon.com/Shadows-Final-Tou ... 807&sr=1-1
wstagner

Postby wstagner » Mon May 24, 2010 5:10 am

From the Eagle Rock website:

Following the DVD release of Cliff And The Shadows: The Final Reunion (January 19, 2010), The Final Tour (originally released on standard DVD on November 2004) captures The Shadows performing at Cardiff International Arena on June 5, 2004 in the midst of a sold-out UK arena tour. Chipping into a catalogue six decades deep, guitarist Hank Marvin (who’s performance style has influenced the likes of Brian May, Pete Townshend, and Eric Clapton), bassist Bruce Welch, and drummer Brian Bennett performed over three hours of music. Additionally, a 45-minute bonus interview is included.
wstagner

Postby Rosemary » Mon May 24, 2010 9:22 am

Hope the Blu-Ray will be released out here in Australia too. I bought the standard DVD as soon as it was released but was wondering if the interview was 45 minutes. It didn't seem that long. Maybe the Australian edition was shorter but I didn't time it and the case just says ' Bonus Feature The Final Tour interview'
Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Postby wstagner » Mon May 24, 2010 1:43 pm

I didn't time it either, but time always "flys" when U R havin fun. ;)
wstagner

Postby Twangaway » Wed May 26, 2010 7:39 pm

Am all excited, as my copy came today, and will not get chance to play it until tomorrow all for £ 10.99
Twangaway

Postby wstagner » Thu May 27, 2010 4:47 am

We'll be looking 4ward to your video quality review. :D
wstagner

Postby Twangaway » Fri May 28, 2010 12:16 pm

I have the disc in my hand now :)

First impression, is poor packaging, its the slimline case, as in DVD cases , and didn't know Blu ray also supported slim line case, so it cheapens the feeling of value. First thing to do is acquire a proper Blu ray case and swap sleeve over, but it will not fit as spline is not wide enough on the sleeve. . Bit of a pain I thought, to have done this on such a significant work and production.

No region reference whatsoever that is very strange too. But it also says E exempt from Classification, so it's definitely not X rated, no shots of Bruce in salmon pink polka dot boxer shots :)

Will watch tonight, and report back, am sure will be fantastic, so no negatives. I wont be able to judge any perceived distortion as my ears are not great so am hoping others may check that out to see if it exists in this version too.

David
Twangaway

Postby Twangaway » Fri May 28, 2010 4:19 pm

I have had a quick look at some of the tracks.

Picture quality is as expected superb and is supposed to be 1080i, but not as sharp as expected and some may not notice the difference. But am not unhappy by any means. My TV suffers from motion blurring so their is a lag that annoys me, but of course that is not the disc. The sound appears as different to the DVD and appears at first hearing a better mix, maybe because it's DTS. I also think my amp is playing tricks on my ears, eg on Peace Pipe If I turn 5.1 off and go to normal stereo, then Hanks guitar appears to be much further back volume wise in the mix. Bruce's rhythm, is unbelievably clear and acoustic sounding and in perfect tune and a pleasure to listen to even on it's own. I suspect that Hanks guitar could be subdued in a PC to create Backing Tracks of sorts like removing vocals from a stereo track. So the 5.1 mix is different to the stereo, and that could be my amp setting.

Yes I will treasure this edition, but the quality is dipping in and out of focus more on this HD version compared to the SD , yet it's same footage. The mix audio wise is superb in the Lady of the morning - great solo sound too - and Nivram. So many hours of pleasurable listening as well as watching am sure.

No complaints and a must have !

David
Twangaway

Previous

Return to The Shadows