Jeff Beck on Breakfast TV BBC1 at 9.00 am - OT

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Jeff Beck on Breakfast TV BBC1 at 9.00 am - OT

Postby ecca » Wed May 19, 2010 9:44 pm

The Ronnie Scott DVD is so educational.
You really have to watch him closely to realise exactly what he's doing.
Even having watched it sometimes you just don't have a clue how he's done what he's just done right in front of your very eyes.
He 'violins' intuitively, he will just bang the trem block in a quick staccato, back of strings for the hell of it, to terrific effect.
He 'rubber bands' the trem with either a bang downwards or a pull and release upwards.
He will hit the note and simultaneously dip the trem so that it sounds for all the world like he's bottlenecking.
Amazing player.
Last edited by ecca on Fri May 21, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ecca

Postby Mikey » Wed May 19, 2010 10:20 pm

I've just ordered the digipak version of the new album plus "Blow by Blow" based on the reviews.
Can't wait. And then of course there's the tour in October :D
Mikey

Postby roger bayliss » Wed May 19, 2010 10:40 pm

Twangaway wrote::) I suppose logically speaking that short trem makes more sense in non plectrum styled playing and actually gives him much more scope in it's handling than a full length one.

Can you buy the short trems ?

David

The shorter trem arms are the vintage ones and are available. Another thing JB has is an LSR roller nut which will help the harmonics ring out and enable smooth dipping of the tremelo giving better control on the pitch of the notes ...
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Twangaway » Wed May 19, 2010 11:23 pm

How are these fitted ? behind the existing nut ? Seen a photo but can't figure it out.
Twangaway

Postby roger bayliss » Thu May 20, 2010 8:50 pm

Have a look here

http://www.electric-guitar-info.com/roller-nut.html

The tone will change on your guitar and might not be advisable to alter your Strat used for Shads sounds. Might also be best on a flatter fretboard say 9.5 radius so check that out before you go ahead.
Last edited by roger bayliss on Thu May 20, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roger bayliss

Postby Twangaway » Thu May 20, 2010 9:30 pm

Thanks, looks extremely tricky, and wouln't do that to a quality Fender neck. Maybe on a Squire :)
Twangaway

Postby roger bayliss » Thu May 20, 2010 9:34 pm

I edited my post for info
roger bayliss

Postby Twangaway » Thu May 20, 2010 11:48 pm

Hi Roger,

If I ever find spare time, I would be tempted on one of my copy guitars to fit the nut with patience and perseverance to get it right first time. I would love to have a go at some of the dive bombing styles and possibilities of violining. Thinking about it, it would be a whole new ball game for a guitarist to experiment and learn something new. I have worked it out that you cannot possibly do the techniques with a plectrum in the way. It would be as daft as trying to make a plasticine or clay sculpture wearing a pair of garden gloves and losing the real hands on feel. :) Could be a lot of fun and maybe in a round about way doing a Hank style too but without the pedal.

David
Twangaway

Postby ecca » Fri May 21, 2010 9:14 am

The beauty about playing pleck free, like Jeff Beck is that it leaves fundamentally 4 fingers free on the right hand to work with.
If you watch him, he usually plays with his thumb alone , the other fingers variously wrapping round the trem and/or volume control.
He will sometimes crook his first finger up to the thumb as though he were holding a an invisible pleck or will sometimes
use the rest of the right hand fingers in a flamenco manner.
I've studied him for years, he's light years ahead of everybody else and illustrates beautifully just what can be done with a strat.
ecca

Postby Twangaway » Fri May 21, 2010 9:43 am

I agree Ecca, he has matured into a definitive unique guitarist like Hendrix, and I dare say if Hendrix was alive he would have shown utmost respect to Beck and even do a jamming gig or duetted with him. I can't help but feeling that Hendrix's version of sunshine of your love was a put me down and not a tribute to Clapton when he saw the masses worshipping him as a guitar god, when he saw him as a false prophet.

I have got to like Beck in last four five years, and will make effort to see him live next time he tours here.Did you notice his right hand finger nails like plectrums ? We will see more tonight for sure oh extended edition of Holland show.
Twangaway

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows