Shambles At Scarborough

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Shambles At Scarborough

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu May 27, 2010 2:48 am

I wasn't able to be there so saw none of this.

While I understand the request to close the matter, there are two points that have gone unanswered.

It is not on to deliver public criticism of someone's technical ability on a sound desk. It could be helpful on the other hand to offer humbly to lend a hand at a future event if you have greater skills.

As for naming and complaining about the booking of a specific performer, there will be reasons for it and I would suggest that popularity and ability are part of the equation. And just because you believe everyone should have an equal share of the action does not mean that someone else's event will be run to that specification.

Speaking more generally, running any kind of event is very hard work and can sometimes attract less appreciation than it deserves. I have been lucky enough to visit some twelve UK guitar clubs over the years, of which Scarborough was the one of the first. I came away feeling that I had been welcomed. All the clubs have in common a small core of devoted people who selflessly do all that's needed to put on sessions for us all to enjoy. They all have the best of intentions. Some provide opportunities for lead guitarists to play to backing tracks, some provide a way for all musicians to play together in scratch bands, some put on shows with bands or individuals putting on a performance. Some events are a combination of these.

So, to those who plan to visit, why not check what's on offer before you go to the trouble and expense?

And to all the organisers, up and down the land, thank you!

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Alan Prudhoe » Thu May 27, 2010 5:37 am

Absolutely spot on, Ian
Alan Prudhoe

Postby clivea » Thu May 27, 2010 5:21 pm

I hope everyone doesn’t mind me throwing in my ‘two-penneth’ for what it’s worth.
Firstly, I would make it quite clear that I have no connection whatsoever with The East Yorks Shadows Club or any of their members. I’m just a guy at the wrong end of his life who, just two years ago, decided to take up the guitar in an attempt to slow down arthiritis which was developing in the left hand fingers - and enjoying every minute of it! (enjoying my Strat I mean, not the arthiritis!!!).
My friend contacted me a few weeks ago and told me about the ‘Shadows Gala’ event being held at Scarborough and considering that my wife and I grew up with The Shads, and we both have always loved the music over the years, we decided to go to the Gala with my friend and his wife.
On arrival to the absolutely brilliant venue - Scarborough RUFC - we really didn’t know what to expect. We felt very welcome from the first minute we walked through the door. Once the show started, with members doing their chosen couple of numbers (all of which were great and they must have had loads of ‘bottle’), we were extremely pleased that we came and we were also pleased that we had paid for both the Saturday and Sunday (£5 per day??? - what tremendous value!!!!!!) ........ We enjoyed every minute of it!
The icing on the cake, to me personally, was having Allan Jones there, who was only too happy (and what a happy face!) to play his bass guitar excellently many times with EYSC members and others. Also, an added bonus was listening to Roger Allcock and Ian McCutcheon, neither of whom I had seen before, having only bought and used their excellent backing tracks.
I send my congratulations to the organisers and members in presenting a fantastic two days of first class entertainment, the organising of such an event must have taken ages with, no doubt, many sleepless nights. I can guarantee that we shall certainly not miss next year’s event. We were also privileged to have made a few new friends from your membership.

Now, here’s my response to the guy who started this thread .........
I have never, ever read so much self-centred, childish comment in all my life. Talk about wanting to be the centre of attention! Do you think that you were the only person there? If the backing tracks were not available for the couple of songs you wanted to play then why didn’t you play some others for which the backing tracks were readily available? - but then maybe you only knew how to play the couple of numbers you wanted the backing tracks for eh???

Incidentally, if you’re the guy who was in the Chinese restaurant in Scarborough with, I have assumed, your family on the Saturday night, on the next table to my wife and I and our two friends, I have to tell you that we had to endure your continual moaning and criticism about both the event and the organisers throughout our meal. If you was this guy (and I definitely think you were!), then you ought to be thoroughly ashamed of yourself! I’ve been around many, many years more than you and I’ve never heard such a load of childish moaning in all my life.
You have to realise that most of the people who were at the Gala have probably forgotten more than you will ever learn! - and talking about learning, you definitely must learn how to show some respect to those who have ‘been there and already done it’! – because you’ve got an extremely long way to go yet to give you the privilege of saying that!
You suggest that the event was ‘clickish’ – so please tell me, who did you speak to who you had never met before? You certainly didn’t speak to me or indeed any other person with me! – so how can you suggest that the people were ‘clickish’? I have to say that members did put themselves out to meet and talk to me, my wife and my friends, and because of this we were delighted to have made a few new friends. In fact I, and my friend were invited to the next EYSC meeting which, subject to my business commitments, I and my wife shall attempt to attend, with hopefully, my friend and his wife.

I have to say that on the Sunday it was noticeable, by your absence, that you had spat your dummy out and had gone home – how pathetic!!!!!!!!!

I have read Linda’s response to your rather unnecessary comments, and considering that it is quite obvious that she did in fact, go way, way out of her way in an attempt to accommodate you in what you wanted (I certainly wouldn't have done it!) then I would suggest to you that you are completely out of order and should certainly not hesitate to publish an apology, on this site, to those to whom you have unnecessarily and wrongly criticised.

You say that you will not return next year – I would bet that the organisers are - HIGHLY DELIGHTED!!!

Rgds - Clive
clivea

Full Real Name: T Clive Aspinall

Postby Admin » Thu May 27, 2010 8:15 pm

With respect for Ken's wishes, who asked for no further messages on this subject, I have locked this topic as it appears to have run its course.

If anyone wishes to continue this discussion or add their replies to recent posts please do so via pm.

Thanks,

Bob.
Admin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Site Admin

Previous

Return to The Shadows