Shambles At Scarborough

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Shambles At Scarborough

Postby AlanMcKillop » Mon May 24, 2010 9:48 pm

What a great "Shambles At Scarborough", well I had a great time anyway. :D

As usual, it was great to meet up with everyone again and meet more new friends, and I for one will be forever grateful to the wonderful music that binds us together. I arrived on the Friday and left today, covered almost 500 miles (thanks to the A1 roadworks) and it wouldn't have bothered me, had I not played. I take my guitar every year, but I say to Ian every year that the backing track sections (imho) are for people who don't get the chance to play very often, it gives them a platform that many remember for a long time.

Our band gigged on the 1st & 8th May and will play next Saturday, so I get plenty of practise (some would say I need it ;) ) so I don't tend to be selfish about promoting "me" to play. I was asked to play a couple of numbers with Alan Jones and Friends on Saturday by Ian, and I was very grateful indeed, but didn't play on Sunday which wasn't a problem.

However, I enjoyed our meals out on the Friday evening (Chinese), Saturday (Fish & Chips) and Sunday (Carvery) in the company of friends and these events were just as good socially, as listening to/playing the music.

Roll on next year. :thumbup:
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby Rhythm Knitter » Mon May 24, 2010 11:14 pm

Can somebody tell me please I thought the Shambles was situated in YORK I never knew there was any in Scarborough, must look when Im in Scarborogh next time. which by the way will be for the next club meeting at the Ambassador Hotel on June 6th for live and backing tracks i believe with (mini discs) not that im into all this mini discs i dont understand anything technical leave that to the guys . i thought you just played a guitar and out came the music fancy that you learn something everyday. mini discs, c.d players come on you guys what does it matter we all love the music from The Shadows luv to you all Carol . By the way as you know Dave played on Saturday and we all knew he wasent feeling to good - hes in hospital now with a Chest Infection and a possible heart problem, so it makes you realise what is important in life. Please get over you little problems and get on playing the music we love. xxxx
Rhythm Knitter

Postby petercreasey » Tue May 25, 2010 9:11 am

Clearly when organising such a function you can't please all the people all of the time. Some will not be happy with the organisation and will decide not to attend again, others will be perfectly happy and give the function their continued support. That's just they way it goes. We can all act as we find. Perhaps airing our grievances in public may be considered inappropriate, this is after all supposed to be a source of pleasure.
It can be likened to the good old game of golf......... if you don't like the course go and play somewhere else.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I will not be attending Scarborough again, thats my decision based on my own experiences. I DO NOT want that to influence others and will not discuss my reasons on a public forum.
Carol, I am sorry to hear that David is unwell would you please pass on my best wishes for a speedy recovery

Take care
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby Telegraphroad » Tue May 25, 2010 9:24 am

Carol.
Please pass on our best wishes to Dave for a speedy recovery.
Ken.
Telegraphroad

Postby fenderdan » Tue May 25, 2010 10:20 am

To Linda-

Again, I am not being nasty, but can honestly not believe that in 14 years, not a single person has turned up with a backing track CD.

Please tell me Linda (and this is not just for me), but what happened to the backing track/live set from 4.30pm-5pm on the Saturday? Ian even told me himself that I could go on in that slot. Why did this disappear? It would have given OTHER people a chance to play as well.

I know that you offered to transfer the backings to a mini disc on Saturday night, but this was not necessary, as I had personally got hold of a DVD player. After I got the DVD player, NO attempt was made to connect it to the PA, it just sat on a table for a few hours.

I realise that these events are difficult to organise and can be stressful, but what if only went for the Saturday and were not staying over in Scarborough?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To Martin Verrill-

I quote you here…

“I was lucky enough to attend both days and saw nothing but friendly faces (apart from a couple at the back of the room who sneered when I walked by and said "Hello"......wonder who that was?)”

What are you trying to say? Are you implying my parents? They would not sneer at you!

I feel that my “ranting” as you referred to it, is not offensive to the organisers, but I am simply passing on my experience of the day to other users of this forum. I know that everything doesn’t always work out and run like clockwork.

I did not want to be the “centre of the universe” as you put it, I just wanted to play 2 songs, and I was willing to compromise on the Saturday and play 2 live numbers instead of the now infamous CD backing tracks, but even that did not happen.

I don’t know how you can say I’m selfish, because I’m not. My dad and I used to run the Cheshire club, and I would spend all day running around like a headless chicken, connecting guitars for people, operating the PA, and operating the backing CDs etc. Also, I was able to connect other things to PA easily, such as laptops, mini disc players, keyboards, lap steel guitars etc. I always did my best for people at the club, and then you try and say I’m selfish- well I’m sorry but you’re way off the mark. Also, I think you need to re-read my original post, as I was saying these events should be more equal, NOT turn into the Daniel Toft show- that would just be wrong!

I think you should speak to Roger Allcock, as he knows me and will tell you that I’m not a selfish person. I have always tried to do my bit for the Shadows community, supporting various clubs and even running one.

I enjoy these events, because they are NOT just an opportunity to play, but also a chance to catch up with old friends that you’ve not seen for a while. I always enjoy talking to people and waiting to see what they’ll play.

This is the last I’ll say on the subject, because it’s history now. Thank you to the moderators for not deleting my post/this topic, as we are supposed to live in a democracy and I just wanted to share my experience.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Carol-

I would like to wish Dave a speedy recovery.
fenderdan

Postby Newliverman » Tue May 25, 2010 10:35 am

I was very sad when I read the comments made by Dan Toft concerning the weekend Gala at Scarborough. The weekend was wonderful, well organised. a great place to hold such an event, lovely people, in general a good standard of musicianship, and a great standard of equipment available. Over the years that I have attended the Scarborough club I have met many people who made you feel welcome and appreciated. They fall over themselves to welcome you into the club. I can only speak personally but I have not witnessed an 'Clich' operating in fact just the opposite.
A well organised programme of the two days was printed and copies circulated, allowing for guitarists to choose whether they wished to play to backing tracks or in a live situation. A totally fair system operates to ensure everyone has an equal opportunity to play. Normally most clubs use mini disc players and perhaps it is a learning point to have a CD available. I feel it is the responsibility of players attending a new club to check out with the organisers what equipment is available and if they need additional equipment to bring their own. The East Yorkshire Club is probably one of the best equipped clubs in the country and it is unreasonable to expect the club to provide absolutely everything. Ian Harper and Linda Harper, plus support volunteers, do a great job in taking responsibility to run the club. The amount of work that goes into running organisations is huge and let's not forget they do it for nothing other than a love of the music. I feel that it is unfair of Dan to criticise what happened as every attempt was made to a) respond to his disappointment by offering to put his music on mini disc for the following day, b) to air his anger on a public website. What is he trying to achieve by comments like this? The intention is to promote the support for clubs not to try and destroy them by inappropriate comments on a public web site. I feel it is also unfair for people who were not there to comment. If they have a grievance, be brave enough to take it up, politely, direct with the organisers as comments and innuendos on a public web site can do untold damage.
Dan did not turn up the following day as he would have found out that people had bent over backwards to accommodate him both on the play lists and the provision of a CD player. On the Saturday when Dan attended, the organisers stood up towards the end of the day and asked if anyone who had not played live to come forward. In my book there was ample opportunity to get up and play but you had to be patient and grown up.
The gala weekend is rather different from the normal club days as bands are invited to play, or volunteer to come and play. Unfortunately, not everybody can be accommodated, but every effort is made to organise something. It is good to see different live bands get up and play the music we love. The bands all played very well this weekend and it was great to see Legend back playing to a very high standard. Well Done!
I am convinced the vast majority of the people who attended thoroughly enjoyed the weekend and was well run even in the main keeping to time, as anyone who has organised this type of event knows this is very difficult.
I hope Dan reflects on his 'Rant' and recognises that he has a responsibility in all this before committing himself to a public website. I wish him well and hope he continues to play the Shadows music. Perhaps in time he will come to understand that you have to be patient, show some understanding of the situation and use interpersonal skills to achieve your goals.
Please in future take up your complaints directly with the organisers and not use this site for this type of discussion. I am sure that is not the intention of having a site like this.
Newliverman

Postby martcaster » Tue May 25, 2010 3:40 pm

Perfectly put, Tony. I'm sure that, upon reflection, we all realise that it was the prominent posting of the word "Shambles" which aroused such a passionate defence of Ian (& co's) efforts. It WAS a disappointment for one person, clearly; and I'm sure we all regret that. But the public humiliation of being described as a "Shambles" was too much for anyone to stand, and it is to Ian's credit that he has remained so discreet in the matter. Let's put this one to bed, now, shall we, and hope that no one has been dissuaded from attending this (or any other) family gathering in future.
Love to all,
Mart.
martcaster

Full Real Name: Martin Verrill

Postby sixtiesman » Wed May 26, 2010 1:02 am

I would like to say thank you to Linda, Ian and everyone who put the event together. I had never been to the club before, but speaking to Linda on the Friday convinced me I should visit. We drove in excess of 3 hours to get there and we didn't know anyone! Linda welcomed us and we had a great time.

I took my guitar which remained in the car together with a small roland amp, a CD player and several leads to match various desks and various backing CDs.

Like Alan above, I did not feel the need to play as I play in a band most weekends.

Thanks again

sixtiesman
sixtiesman

Full Real Name: clive tallon

Postby Telegraphroad » Wed May 26, 2010 7:45 am

Hi everyone.
As the 'parent' in all this I would now kindly request that no one else posts any more messages on this matter, everyone has had their say and after taking Dan around the country playing Shadows music for the last 12 years I don't think this is doing anyone any good at all.I WILL NOT GET INTO A SLANGING MATCH.

OK , he had his say , and as his Father I have to support him and CARRY ON , as for the venue I think Scarborough have found a wonderfull place to play Shadows music.
Ken.
Telegraphroad

Postby Rhythm Knitter » Wed May 26, 2010 2:41 pm

SOME FACTS TO BEAR IN MIND -
All groups playing gave their time freely, and are all members of Shadows Clubs throughout the country, plus they all travelled distances as did the majority of guests, AND WHERE ALL PAYING CUSTOMERS .

Timing of groups on stage on Saturday was 2 hours for the groups 4x 30mins and Backing Tracks and Live Music 3 Hours. On Sunday only 1hr 30 mins for Groups with 4hours 30mins fo Backing Tracks and Live Playing.

Scaborough Shadows Galas have always been a mixture of groups and backing tracks which have ben successful for over 10 years.
Rhythm Knitter

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows