In Memory of my son, Robert

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

In Memory of my son, Robert

Postby BrianD » Mon May 24, 2010 8:42 pm

I have not been on the site for a while. Firstly I had technical issues which have just been resolved, and thanks to those who helped, but more importantly, and sadly, I have not felt like it as my son, Robert, passed away on April the 9th.

Robert was 31 when he died from pneumonia in Haywards Heath Hospital. He suffered from brittle-bone all his life which restricted him to a wheelchair and meant that his bone structure was too weak to support him. His spine progressively compressed giving his lungs less and less space to work so he was unable to recover from the pneumonia when it struck. Despite his afflictions he was always positive and cheerful and made many friends. He was a regular at Big Jim Sullivan's monthly jazz evenings and a couple of years ago spent a week on a musical workshop with Herbie Flowers.

There are so many good causes all looking for funding and my wife and I are keen to take the opportunity to raise awareness and funding for The Brittle Bone Society, in Robert's memory. His cousin, Naomi, will, very shortly set off on a bike ride from John O'Groats to Landsend. Please take a look at this link and make a small contribution - http://www.justgiving.com/robertdandridge. It really is a worthwhile cause.

Despite his physical limitation's Robert lead an active and independent life living in his own bungalow, working in Ditchling Museum and keeping as fit as possible through swimming. I have posted an album showing him through his 31 years at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=p ... 0570521384

As you will appreciate this has been a very sad and emotional time for my wife and I. We treasure our memories of him but with his passing hope that raising awareness of the brittle bone condition and the work the Brittle Bone Society does will help others who suffer from what can be a very painful condition.

Thank you very much for reading this.

Brian
BrianD

Full Real Name: Brian Dandridge

Re: In Memory of my son, Robert

Postby ecca » Mon May 24, 2010 8:57 pm

Sorry to hear this Brian.
Sincere condolences.
Ecca
ecca

Postby panchodiaz » Mon May 24, 2010 8:59 pm

My deep condolences for you and your family, Brian.
panchodiaz

Full Real Name: Francisco Diaz Paniagua

Postby Mikey » Mon May 24, 2010 9:19 pm

People like your son Robert make me feel ashamed when I moan about the odd ache or pain. It seems he lived his short live to the full. May he rest in peace.
Mikey

Postby des mcneill » Mon May 24, 2010 9:22 pm

I also would like to add my condolences, Brian.
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Postby JimN » Mon May 24, 2010 9:35 pm

Brian, I've known you for quite a few years now - please accept my sincere condolences for your terrible loss.

All of us who have children have at one time or another imagined going through what you and your family are now having to endure. It never bears thinking about. Words are not enough.

Best wishes,

JimN

PS: I've added a little towards the fundraising target of £3,000.
Last edited by JimN on Mon May 24, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Pierre TEODORI » Mon May 24, 2010 9:37 pm

My sincere condolences Brian.
May Robert rest in peace now.
Sincerely

Pierre
Pierre TEODORI

Postby MeBHank » Mon May 24, 2010 10:24 pm

Our thoughts are with you, Brian. May your happy memories of Robert help to sustain you and your family through this terrible time.

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby Rick50 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:36 pm

We hope you find strength from people responding, and that your memories of good times with Robert help you through the years. Rick & Joyce
Rick50

Postby roger bayliss » Mon May 24, 2010 10:37 pm

May I too offer my condolences ..
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Next

Return to The Shadows