In Memory of my son, Robert

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: In Memory of my son, Robert

Postby BrianD » Tue May 25, 2010 2:44 pm

Many thanks for all the messages and for the contributions to Naomi's fund raising efforts. They are all most appreciated.

Foregive me if I do not respond to any further messages for a while but my wife and I are off to France for a couple of weeks, on our boat, and won't have access to the web until we get back. This is the annual sailing club cruise which Robert has always accompanied us on in the past so it is going to be quit a difficult time for us but with good friends and, hopefully, good weather we shall make the most of the break.

Of course a guitar goes with me as we always have a bar-b-q and sing-song somewhere along the way.

Thanks again.

Brian
BrianD

Full Real Name: Brian Dandridge

Postby ecca » Tue May 25, 2010 3:23 pm

Going anywhere near Le Touquet Brian ?
ecca

Postby BrianD » Tue May 25, 2010 3:31 pm

Don't think so. Cherbourg, Carentan, St Vaast, St Peterport, Dielette, Cherbourg and home.

Brian
BrianD

Postby John Haldane » Tue May 25, 2010 4:49 pm

So sorry to hear of your sad loss.

John H
John Haldane

Postby Ian Miller » Tue May 25, 2010 6:09 pm

Hi Brian,

I am so sorry to hear of your sad loss. My thoughts are with you and your wife.

i may be imagining this but did I meet him at one or more of 'The Shudders' gigs? More and likely a gig in the Worthing area. Roberts Wine Lodge springs to mind!

Kind Regards

Ian
Ian Miller

Full Real Name: Ian Miller

Postby BrianD » Tue May 25, 2010 7:16 pm

Thanks again for the responses. Ian, I remember playing at the Wine Lodge in The Shudders back in the early '80s. We gave our farewell concert in a club in West Worthing at the beginning of April 1987 and my son was in the audience, just eight years old. He also took the photo you see of me on each of these postings playing the Les Paul at my sailing club's dinner dance last November - the last picture he ever took of me.

I am still in touch with three other members of The Shudders - Marc Amey, our bass player, Dave Barnett - keyboards, and my brother Andrew - drums. Not seen our other guitarist though since we split in '87.

Al the best.

Brian
BrianD

Postby Ian Miller » Tue May 25, 2010 7:47 pm

Hi again Brian,

West Worthing Working Men's Club or perhaps West Tarring Club, I used to frequent both but can't now remember which.

I often pop in and see Marc at Drum-N Strum and chew over old times. I, way back in the 60's and 70's worked in a music shop in Worthing called Heathershaws, and Marc was then one of my regular customers.

Best Wishes

Ian
Ian Miller

Full Real Name: Ian Miller

Postby kittycph » Tue May 25, 2010 9:04 pm

My sincere condolences Brian

Regards Kitty
kittycph

Postby phil kelly » Tue May 25, 2010 9:46 pm

Hello Brian,
I dont think we have met but i just wanted to say how sorry i am to learn of your sons passing , sincere condolances to you and your family at this difficult time,
Regards,
Phil.
phil kelly

Full Real Name: phil kelly

Postby BrianD » Wed May 26, 2010 6:56 pm

Many thanks for the messages, one and all.

Phil,

no we didn't meet but I did bring Robert to the second ever Shadowmania where he met Licorice who kindly spoke to him and signed an autograph.

licorice2.jpg
(48.53 KiB) Downloaded 7259 times

licorice1.jpg
(46.02 KiB) Downloaded 7259 times

Ian,

I remember Heathershaws in Worthing. I bought a Burns Baldwin Vibraslim there and then replaced Mark Amey as lead-guitarist with Mayfair Suite. The Vibraslim didn't hack it and quickly transposed into a Gibson SG Special. This in turn metamorphosed into my first Strat and so it went on!

Signing off now and off to France.

All the best

Brian
BrianD

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows