Abbey Road - Finally got there!!!!!!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Abbey Road - Finally got there!!!!!!

Postby drakula63 » Sun May 30, 2010 9:53 am

Well folks, I finally got there. But NOT inside, I'm sorry to say.

What a fantastic experience. Friday, which was a scorching day, went to see a musician friend in London and after a few bevvies in the local hostelry, we made the pilgrimage. When it came into view - wow! Plenty of people outside signing the wall, which I imagine is whitewashed every few days! - so I borrowed a pen off a very nice Australian girl and added my own comments. As far as I remember, I wrote something like "The Shadows - Apache - 1960" just so everyone knew where it was recorded!!! Also added "Cliff Richard - Move it! - 1958 - The Birth of Rock 'n Roll" OK, so maybe that's not strictly accurate, but to my addled, excited mind, it was! But just to see that famous front door and to imagine how many people had passed through it over the years. Awesome. It was a genuinely moving experience.

And, of course, I made several crossings of the famous zebra. Sorry to all the cars, busses and lorries who had to stop. Mind you, everyone was doing it. I tried to be considerate, waited until the road was fairly clear, then ran across! Didn't bump into anyone famous, but did almost run into a Spanish girl who had obviously had the same idea and was running across from the opposite side!!! Anyway, it was all captured on camera but I sincerely hope that it WON'T be cropping up on YouTube anytime soon. Mind you, it's given me a good idea for a movie script...

Fantstic experience. I would recommend you all to do it...

:D :o :lol: :thumbup:

P.S. Just thought I'd add that I had two CDs in my pocket at the time - one of which was my copy of The Shads' Shades of Rock. Recorded almost exactly 40 years ago at that very studio!!! It seemed apt, somehow....
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Abbey Road - Finally got there!!!!!!

Postby captainhaddock » Sun May 30, 2010 7:56 pm

Hello Chris,
I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your thread about your recent visit to Abbey Road. It just goes to prove
why I became so angry when the closure and sale of Abbey Road was suggested. Abbey Road, although it has been in use for decades, is a true shrine for "Popular Music" in this country and the fact that it attracts visitors from around the World shows that it's importance can not be exaggerated. I believe that I am correct in saying that many of the other recording studios that were used in Britain in the 50's and 60's no longer exist and therefore Abbey Road and the Ghosts that stalk it's corridors are almost unique. I hope that one day I can make my pilgrimmage to the shrine, but this is one occasion where Hank and I disagree, London is too far, at least at the moment. :)
captainhaddock

Re: Abbey Road - Finally got there!!!!!!

Postby drakula63 » Mon May 31, 2010 9:27 am

Thanks for that, Captain!

Yes, it's clear that countless numbers of people from all over the world make the pilgrimmage every year (every day of...) and to many it's a kind of shrine. I'll admit that as I stood and looked at the famous front door, I could see Hank, Bruce, Jet and Tony going in, exactly 50 years ago, to record the most influential guitar instrumental of all time. How on earth could EMI ever think of selling the place --- it's priceless!!!

Hope you get to see it one day. It's a journey that I think everyone who's in the least bit interested in the history of popular music should make.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Return to The Shadows