High Praise From Malcolm Addey (slightly O/T)

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

High Praise From Malcolm Addey (slightly O/T)

Postby Arpeggio » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:23 pm

Well.....I just have to post this. Many of you know that I sing with the semi - pro Reading Phoenix Choir. One of our basses is a former EMI & Pye recording engineer called Tony Bridge. When he was starting out he learned a lot from Malcolm Addey. They remain friends and keep in touch. Unbeknown to me...he was visiting Tony and was in the audience at our last concert!!! This is what he had to say:

"Concert Review: Church of the Ascension, Burghclere, 22nd May
I want to thank you for inviting me to your choir’s performance at Burghclere the other evening. As
a recording engineer in New York City, with the added advantage of a partner in classical artists
management, I am privileged to enjoy the best of the best that the musical world has to offer on a regular
basis and I have to tell you that I was very impressed with the Reading Phoenix. You have a big warm
sound, excellent intonation and an overall balance that would be the envy of any professional group I have
ever heard. And that you perform (mainly) a cappella from memory is truly remarkable.
Malcolm Addey"

Wow! I still can't believe it!

Rob :)
Arpeggio

Re: High Praise From Malcolm Addey (slightly O/T)

Postby John Boyd » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:45 pm

Rob,
You and the choir are to be congratulated.
That is indeed high praise from an expert who really knows about music and performance.
I think it is quite OK to feel 'real chuffed' about his comments. Well done.
Cheers,
JB
John Boyd

Full Real Name: John Boyd

Postby kipper » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:08 pm

i can understand why you couldnt wait to post this review. well done to you all. peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby Arpeggio » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:17 pm

Thanks guys! The choir has recorded for the BBC etc and been featured on "Songs Of Praise". We perform about 15 - 20 concerts per year. Apart from the 'Annual' concert at Reading's Hexagon Theatre every January (always featuring a star guest) - then the choir raises money for various charities from every other concert performed.

Best wishes,

Rob :D
Arpeggio

Return to The Shadows