Pop go the sixties

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Pop go the sixties

Postby dave robinson » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:41 am

This is a long shot, but wasn't Brian ill during a Shadows season at The Talk Of The Town around this time, when Tony and 'Licorice' stood in for both Brian and John, who was also taken ill? I can't imagine it being for any other reason.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby George Geddes » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:47 pm

I think that was 1968, Dave, not 1969.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby StuartD » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:49 pm

Hi

What happened was that the Shadows were at Stockton Fiesta Club in December 1969. I was backstage and we were talking and I said that it was exactly a year ago today since Bruce left. At which point there was the usual banter from John and Brian about Bruce being a lazy so and so and hadn’t worked for a year. Hank then said Bruce was doing the Pop Go the Sixties programme – incidentally I don’t think what was shown the other day was the full version as I am sure Paul Jones sang with Manfred Mann and Tony Jackson with the Searchers – and again there was banter from Brian who said jokingly “No one has asked me. If Bruce is doing it then I am not”!! To which Hank replied that he wasn’t doing it anyway as they had asked Tony Meehan because of the significance of the event!! The rest of the evening descended into lots of banter and mickey taking between Hank, John and Brian with Alan Hawkshaw as bemused as me and my friends were.
There was no mention of Jet at all during the evening and I probably wasn’t brave enough to ask!!

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Previous

Return to The Shadows