Battery-powered Pedalboard

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Battery-powered Pedalboard

Postby TimRyland » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:20 pm

I am looking to build a pedalboard. However, I want it to be batttery powered as I want to use it where there may be no mains. I already use a Vox DA5 as an amp and am happy with the battery life it has.

However, I find that my Zoom 508 pretty much eats PP3 batteries. The other problem is , I sometimes forget to disconnect the cable, so leaving the effect switched on, also once on a pedalboard it will be awkward to keep changing the batteries.

I am using a BOSS Acoustic Simulator, BOSS Blues Driver, Passive Volume pedal, and a Zoom 508. I reckon total battey drain to be around 80 - 100ma total. I have thought about connecting a couple of PP3 batteries in parallel, but this would probably only give around 300 - 350maH.

I am considering using 6* C or D type batteries, these give around 2500maH so should last longer.

My idea is 2 sets of these through a switch to allow one set to be on standby if the other set runs out. Then feed the output via a daisy chain cable to my effects pedals 9V in socket.

Has anybody done anything like this before, or can see any problems.

Thanks,

Tim.
TimRyland

Full Real Name: Tim Ryland

Re: Battery-powered Pedalboard

Postby ecca » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:30 pm

Have you tried lithium batteries ? Or a lead acid rechargeable ?
I've done this before, many moons ago.
Lead acid alone is no good because you want 9 volts and you won't get a 9 volt one but you can fit a 3 legged regulator to a 12 volt one to drop it to 9.
You can pick these lead acid batteries up cheap, they're used in alarm systems.
ecca

Re: Battery-powered Pedalboard

Postby RayL » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:30 am

Don't forget the magic word 'sealed' when it comes to buying lead-acid batteries for this sort of application. Sealed lead-acid batteries can be turned upside-down. Anything where the acid can drip out leaves holes in the tops of your feet.

Ray L
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Return to The Shadows