The Shadows' "Apache": recorded 50 years ago today!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Shadows' "Apache": recorded 50 years ago today!

Postby Moderne » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:22 pm

No, I believe Royal Event by Russ Conway was the last 78rpm record released by EMI...earlier in 1960. Jet Black and Saturday Dance weren't released on 78 either in the UK. By the middle of 1959 the 45rpm disc was king; only records which were likely to be hits were pressed up in both formats - and 78s had to be specially ordered.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby drakula63 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:27 pm

What more can I possibly add to this?

All I can really say is that I had the pleasure and honour of spending a few minutes in Studio 2, Abbey Road a couple of years ago and it was a surreal experience.

Uppermost in my thoughts were 'Apache was recorded in here!'

I don't know what else I can say. I am guessing, though, that EVERY guitar band that came up between 1960 and 1965 (maybe even until the early 1970s) was influenced, to some degree, by this record. And this is without it having been a hit for the Shadows in the USA.

It was the very first Shadows tune/record that I ever heard, way back in 1977. What a year! What a record!

Happy Anniversary Apache.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Fenderman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:16 pm

When Keith Richards first heard 'Apache' he hated it, i won't repeat what he said but it contained a lot of swear words!
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby iefje » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:04 pm

Fenderman wrote:When Keith Richards first heard 'Apache' he hated it, i won't repeat what he said but it contained a lot of swear words!

Probably just jealousy at the time. He made it big a couple of years later though.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:59 pm

Now, here's a strange coincidence.

At a friend's house and talking about the Shadows. I clicked on to this website to show him some of the threads - including this one. The radio is on in the background on Radio 2. Suddenly, what should they start to play? The Shadows - Apache! Synchronicity or what? I think it's Liz Tarbuck was the presenter and after it had finished (about five minutes ago) she said "The Shadows, Apache. Number 1 for five weeks. We love a bit of the Shads!"

So there we are. Keith Richards - eat yer heart out!!!!!

And on that note, I am going to eat an onion bhaji.

G'night folks!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby ribiers » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:52 pm

Fenderman wrote:When Keith Richards first heard 'Apache' he hated it, i won't repeat what he said but it contained a lot of swear words!

I still haven't heard this..! where do this comes from...???
ribiers

Full Real Name: jean-pierreMerlier

Postby dave robinson » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:11 pm

Personally I wouldn't worry about what Keith Richards thinks, I listened, but he never did anything to impress me, playing or otherwise. There are stories from way back when Dave Berry & The Cruisers supported the Stones in 1965 and the Cruisers lead guitarist at the time blew him off the stage every night with his excellent playing, his name is Frank White and at that time he played the first Gibson Twin neck imported into the UK. Richards apparently stood stage side with his eyes glued on Frank's fingers. I also remember Chuck Berry tearing a strip off him too in that movie 'Hail Hail Rock & Roll'. ;)
As far as Apache goes, it is without doubt the most influential tune of the time in the concept that it inspired so many of todays guitar players. A little later, the inspiration from the Rolling Stones was from Brian Jones's guitar licks, as Richards was the rhythm guitarist. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Stratly » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:14 pm

Hi Dave!
As a very, very young teenager, in Sheffield, I remember Frank White, and as you say, he was/is an amazing player.
You may also have heard Dave Hopper, who used to play lead guitar for Vance Arnold aka Joe Cocker.
He was another great Sheffield blues player. A fifties sunburst Start through a Fender Vibraverb, fully cranked, I seem to remember - possibly inaccurately!!
The old Esquire Club used to resound to these bands. All analogue; high octane; high voltage!
Great sound! I wonder happened to these two chaps? I bet they're still playing and entertaining the crowds.
At least I hope so.
Stratly 8-)
Stratly

Full Real Name: Malcolm Peter

Postby Uncleboko » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:56 am

dave robinson wrote:Personally I wouldn't worry about what Keith Richards thinks, I listened, but he never did anything to impress me, playing or otherwise. There are stories from way back when Dave Berry & The Cruisers supported the Stones in 1965 and the Cruisers lead guitarist at the time blew him off the stage every night with his excellent playing, his name is Frank White and at that time he played the first Gibson Twin neck imported into the UK. Richards apparently stood stage side with his eyes glued on Frank's fingers. I also remember Chuck Berry tearing a strip off him too in that movie 'Hail Hail Rock & Roll'. ;)
As far as Apache goes, it is without doubt the most influential tune of the time in the concept that it inspired so many of todays guitar players. A little later, the inspiration from the Rolling Stones was from Brian Jones's guitar licks, as Richards was the rhythm guitarist. :)

I often wonder how many takes it required for Keith Richards to get the solo right in the recorded version of Route 66! I can remember playing it almost note for note after listening to the album track just once, which I had the knack of doing back then!

Who remembers Terry Gibson from the Downliner Sect? He was an amazing guitarist, and the Taverners Guild had a good guitarist too, both knocked spots off Mr Richards!
Uncleboko

Full Real Name: Stephen Giles

Postby iefje » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:51 am

I remember the documentary about Chuck Berry in which he played with Keith Richards and told him something like "If you want to play this track, you have to play it correct". I thought Keith Richards played a lot better there than Chuck Berry. Towards the end of the programme, you see Chuck Berry on stage playing and doing the duck-walk. I thought his playing there too was quite dismal.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows