The Shadows' "Apache": recorded 50 years ago today!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Shadows' "Apache": recorded 50 years ago today!

Postby dave robinson » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:13 am

Uncleboko wrote:
dave robinson wrote:Personally I wouldn't worry about what Keith Richards thinks, I listened, but he never did anything to impress me, playing or otherwise. There are stories from way back when Dave Berry & The Cruisers supported the Stones in 1965 and the Cruisers lead guitarist at the time blew him off the stage every night with his excellent playing, his name is Frank White and at that time he played the first Gibson Twin neck imported into the UK. Richards apparently stood stage side with his eyes glued on Frank's fingers. I also remember Chuck Berry tearing a strip off him too in that movie 'Hail Hail Rock & Roll'. ;)
As far as Apache goes, it is without doubt the most influential tune of the time in the concept that it inspired so many of todays guitar players. A little later, the inspiration from the Rolling Stones was from Brian Jones's guitar licks, as Richards was the rhythm guitarist. :)

I often wonder how many takes it required for Keith Richards to get the solo right in the recorded version of Route 66! I can remember playing it almost note for note after listening to the album track just once, which I had the knack of doing back then!

Who remembers Terry Gibson from the Downliner Sect? He was an amazing guitarist, and the Taverners Guild had a good guitarist too, both knocked spots off Mr Richards!

Agreed !
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby dave robinson » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:16 am

Stratly wrote:Hi Dave!
As a very, very young teenager, in Sheffield, I remember Frank White, and as you say, he was/is an amazing player.
You may also have heard Dave Hopper, who used to play lead guitar for Vance Arnold aka Joe Cocker.
He was another great Sheffield blues player. A fifties sunburst Start through a Fender Vibraverb, fully cranked, I seem to remember - possibly inaccurately!!
The old Esquire Club used to resound to these bands. All analogue; high octane; high voltage!
Great sound! I wonder happened to these two chaps? I bet they're still playing and entertaining the crowds.
At least I hope so.
Stratly 8-)

You are of course correct with those amazing memories. Sadly, Frank isn't too well these days and doesn't do a lot anymore.
Dave Hopper is still around and sometimes appears at our gigs for a chat. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby iefje » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:59 am

56 years ago...
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby dave robinson » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:14 am

Yes it is 56 years and is the most iconic and influential record ever for many thousands of guitarists. :)
I wonder if Keith has mastered the art of tuning up yet. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby GoldenStreet » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:08 pm

MeBHank wrote:Thank you Jerry.
Thank you Norrie.
Thank you Hank.
Thank you Bruce.
Thank you Jet.
Thank you Tony.

Thank you the Shadows!

... and thank you Malcolm for engineering the masterpiece! :)

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Fenderman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:28 pm

Talking of Malcom Addy does anyone know where is nowadays? Is he retired or still working?
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:38 pm

dave robinson wrote:Yes it is 56 years and is the most iconic and influential record ever for many thousands of guitarists. :)
I wonder if Keith has mastered the art of tuning up yet. ;)

Well he may not be very good Robbo, but he's helped sell more records than you and me put together!
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:27 pm

Fenderman wrote:Talking of Malcom Addy does anyone know where is nowadays? Is he retired or still working?

"Malcolm currently resides in New York City, where he continues his work recording and mastering mostly Jazz and Classical music in addition to re-mastering historic re-issue CD sets. He also enjoys recording live concerts for radio broadcast networks."

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby fenderplucker » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:02 pm

Hi,

Those interested in hearing how Hank's playing of Apache has changed over the 50 or so years since it was originally recorded might be interested in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXp9gMU0pLc&feature=youtu.be

Regards,

Paul.
fenderplucker

Full Real Name: Paul Rossiter

Postby cockroach » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:42 pm

I watched and listened to the YouTube clip- thanks!

However, contrary to the comments on the audio, I thought it was remarkable how consistently Hank (and the rest of the chaps!) reproduced the tune over the many years that they have featured it in live performances..

And considering that the yardstick is considered by so many people and fans to be that original recording, and allowing for the many different rooms, venues, hall, etc in which that tune as been recorded live, and the changes in gear used to both play it and record it, and even the different other people playing in the band over time whose different styles and sounds also contribute to the overall sound, I think it might be a little pedantic to quibble about very subtle differences between each performance and indeed, comparing a series of live recordings made over 50 years with the fixed, actual original recording.

Most musicians tend to change their styles, sounds and gear etc over time- let alone 50 years! Hank has said in interviews that he and the chaps were fully aware of fans' expectations of their performances and realise that they have had to always strive to reproduce their big hits as near perfectly as possible, or else face criticism...let's face it, Shadows fans are notoriously very particular and even critical of every note the band has ever played- sometimes constructively criticising, and often pleased that the band's performances and recordings as being everything they loved and wanted to hear...

Tough crowd!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows