The Shadows' "Apache": recorded 50 years ago today!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Shadows' "Apache": recorded 50 years ago today!

Postby iefje » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:29 pm

I remember reading 15 years ago, in 1995 around the 35th anniversary of "Apache", that Bruce was gathering vintage film/video material for a video release to mark the anniversary. Due to the high costs of the rights to this material, the project was dropped. I still hope one day BBC radio/TV material will be issued by our heroes.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby cockroach » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:37 pm

Ah, Apache- 50 years ago!

....and how much money, time, and effort has been spent by thousands of guitarists over those last 50 years attempting to reproduce 'that sound' ever since? ;)
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby tommybird » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:56 pm

Hi Gary,

Yes my wife bought me the Apache Gold Disc as a surprise pressie. Its no 20 of 750 and looks good hanging on the wall of my music room :P

Tommy
tommybird

Full Real Name: tommy bird

Postby Keith Bateman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:19 pm

I've got gold disc number 82 on my wall as well. I also manged to get Jet and Tony's signatures on the certificate to accompany Hank and Bruce's. What a nice momento of a seminal piece of music. Happy birthday Apache.
Keith Bateman

Full Real Name: Keith Bateman

Postby panchodiaz » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:45 pm

Ten years back this forum (the old forum really) organized a great gig with fans playing shadowmusic along the day all around the world. The event started in Singapore and finished in Canada. It was coordinated by Moe, and older member. Where is she now?
panchodiaz

Full Real Name: Francisco Diaz Paniagua

Postby Fenderman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:13 pm

captainhaddock wrote:Was it true that this was a make or break session for The Shadows, another flop and the Recording contract ends?.

I think it was, i'm sure Hank said once that one more flop and no more Shadows. EMI were starting to run out of patience.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby abstamaria » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:05 am

That aniversary almost slipped by so quietly. Such an important piece - without it, perhaps no Shadoes, no Fiesta Red Stratocasters, no never-ending discussions on echoes, strings, tremolo bars ... Perhaps no ShadowMusic.

About two months ago, I was rearranging large rocks around our pond and caught my ring finger between two large ones. The skin at the tip split open, healed well, and, now, I almost can press the strings. No bending yet. But when the figer tip bulds up again, I will get my friends over and we will play Apache to celebrate.

Regards,

Andres
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby Didier » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:28 am

Fenderman wrote:
captainhaddock wrote:Was it true that this was a make or break session for The Shadows, another flop and the Recording contract ends?.

I think it was, i'm sure Hank said once that one more flop and no more Shadows. EMI were starting to run out of patience.

The initial recording contract for the Shadows (then the Drifters) was for two singles.
The first one was "Feelin' fine" and "Don't be a fool (with love)"
The second one was "Jet Black" and "Driftin'"
Neither were successes, and the Shadows' career as recording artists in their own could have come to an end, but Norrie Paramor had other ideas, and the contract was renewed.
The third attempt was "Saturday dance" and "Lonsome fella" with little more success.
Fortunatly, there was a fourth attempt with "Apache" and "Quatermasters' stores", and the rest is history !

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby RayL » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:51 pm

Just suppose that Jerry Lordan hadn't played them 'Apache' and that Quatermassters Stores had been the A side with an undistinguished B side. . . . . . . . . which of their follow-up records would have been strong enough to do what Apache did for them?

Ray L
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby dave robinson » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:08 pm

Gary Allen wrote:Did anyone buy the gold disc when apache was 40 ?.................

Yes thanks! Number 21 of 750, though I heard that nowhere near 750 were made. :D
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows