The Shadows' "Apache": recorded 50 years ago today!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Shadows' "Apache": recorded 50 years ago today!

Postby Fenderman » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:19 pm

I think some people think Apache is the only track they ever did.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby shadowriter » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:44 pm

neil2726 wrote:I wonder how many guitars "Apache" sold - must be millions?

Not as many as Lonnie Donegan I would bet
shadowriter

Full Real Name: Norman Johnson

Postby shadowriter » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:21 pm

dave robinson wrote:Apache was the tune that turned my head and made me want to be a guitarist for a living.
At the time we had Bert Weedon on 5-O-Clock Club on childrens' TV, playing his guitar every week, but it did nothing for me at all, to me he was an old bloke with a very average sounding instrument that lacked excitement.
Then I heard Apache on 'Uncle Mac' one Sturday morning and became inquisitive as to who and what it was, having heard the pleasing guitar sounds on some of Cliff's hits that were played at the time. The Ramrods 'Riders In The Sky' and the Strigalongs 'Wheels' along with Peter Gunn were also frequent visitors on the same show and I liked it alot. My mate showed me his electric guitar, a Colorama and I was besotted. The same day he told me to get home to watch Crackerjack, as The Shadows (who ?) were on . That's right, I didn't know the name of the band who played the tune I liked so much, but from then on I was into it big time. I remember how cool Jet looked, the geeky looking guy with the big specks waggling that metal bar, the drummer looking really cool too. Little did I know how this would pan out, but I'd live it all again, thanks to Apache. :)

Sorry Bert Weedon didn't do it for you. He was a wonderful musician and entertainer, and an inspiration to thousands (me included.) What Bert never got any credit for was opening the doors to Cabaret and Clubland for many solo guitar instrumental acts to go on and make a living from that form of entertainment.
Can't remember names very well now but John Anthony springs to mind and there were many others. Incidentally, I am a a big fan of yours Dave, got a few cds
all great.
shadowriter

Postby shadowriter » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:37 pm

tim.cooper5 wrote:
MeBHank wrote:Thank you Jerry.
Thank you Norrie.
Thank you Hank.
Thank you Bruce.
Thank you Jet.
Thank you Tony.

Thank you the Shadows!

You have all passed onto us an incredible legacy. I, for one, am proud to be able to help fly the Shadows flag well into the 21st century.

Alongside, Ian McCutcheon, Dave Robinson and Stuart Cosgrove, who do a fantastic job providing the backing tracks for you guys to fly the flag.
Keep producing them Fellas, The Queen should include you all in her honours list for services to decent music

J

Did Cliff not play the tom tom (or whatever you call it!) drum, so Thank you Cliff?
shadowriter

Postby iefje » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:00 am

59 years ago today.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby dave robinson » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:57 am

. . . And didn’t it open up a can of worms ? :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Gatwick1946 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:38 pm

Apache never had the appeal to me at the time of its release, unlike many other people. It was about 5 years before I got to like it.

Me and my school friends preferred Quatermasster"s Stores, as we could sing along to it the rather rude words to the old army tune, The Quartermaster's Stores.

Time flies!

Kindest regards
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby neil2726 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:11 pm

Apache certainly did it for me as a young teenager - one of those records that you hear and think "Wow - what was that!" Another was Del Shannon and "Runaway" with the falsetto and musitron solo! Just a couple of things you never forget and lead you into being life long fans!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby Kawarthabass » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:37 am

cockroach wrote:Ah, Apache- 50 years ago!

....and how much money, time, and effort has been spent by thousands of guitarists over those last 50 years attempting to reproduce 'that sound' ever since? ;)

And bass players! I still play along with the original recording.
Kawarthabass

Full Real Name: Martin Chapman

Previous

Return to The Shadows