Live In Japan / Pops In Japan CD.

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Live In Japan / Pops In Japan CD.

Postby captainhaddock » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:11 pm

After two years of trying, I have finally located a copy of the afforementioned CD, it came from California and arrived safely yesterday. I am aware that all of the tracks are available elsewhere , but I just had to have it, know what I mean!.
It is a nicely packaged set, with a nice booklet. The only problem is that whilst the track listing is in Japanese and English, the rest of the booklet is only in Japanese. Have any of you ever seen an English translation ?, to my eternal shame, my Japanese is like an old Toyota, rather rusty, just like all my other foreign language skills!!!. I doubt that there is a readily available translation and obviously it is not worth paying for one but can anyone help?
captainhaddock

Re: Live In Japan / Pops In Japan CD.

Postby JimN » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:35 pm

The translation of the sleeve notes for "Live In Japan / Pops In Japan" (EMI/Toshiba TOCP 6603; Japan 1990) is indeed presented on Malcolm Campbell's site.

I recall speaking to SMSE member Mike McWilliams about that CD some years ago, and remarking that it would be nice to have an English translation. Mike, who has Japanese family connections and speaks the language fluently, immediately offered to undertake the translation from a scan of all the relevant material that I passed to him.

Intriguingly, not all the original sleeve note is in Japanese. It is peppered throughout with dates and numbers in the Arabic figures we use in the West, and with English phrases including song-titles (Cliff Richard, even Drifters and Olivia Newton-John songs as well as Shadows numbers), album titles and the even more alluring "Designed and Handcrafted for Hank B. Marvin"! It's a bit like watching Paul Whitehouse on an edition of "The Fast Show", or listening to a Welsh football commentary...

Once Malcolm Campbell's site was up and running, it seemed to me to be the natural place for this superb work of translation to be archived - and Mike agreed to it at once. Full marks to Mike and Malcolm.

JN
Last edited by JimN on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby captainhaddock » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:14 pm

Many thanks to Phil and Jim for your invaluable assistance with this. It never ceases to amaze me the depth of knowledge available on this forum, thank-you . :D
captainhaddock

Postby iefje » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:37 pm

I picked up a brand new copy of this CD back in 2001, during the 40th International Cliff Richard & The Shadows Fan Meeting in Tilburg, The Netherlands. At the time, the EURO wasn't there yet (I still long for those days!) and the only CD source at the time for The Shadows' concert of the 12th of October 1969 in Japan was this very CD. I paid 85 Guilders for it, which is quite a lot, but it was worth it, because, as I said, the CD was brand new complete with obi-strip and sealed. Later on, in August of 2002, this concert was issued as a bonus on the French Magic Records 2 CD edition of "Live At The Paris Olympia". I know the opinions about The Shadows consisting of Hank, Brian, John and Alan Hawkshaw are divided, but the 1969 Sankei Hall concert has become very familiar to me and I still enjoy listening to it, even though some tracks are below par (performance wise).
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Fenderman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:16 pm

I was over at Leo's den earlier browsing through the Shadows cds when i noticed it said that The Shadows at the BBC is still on the cards. Does anyone know if this CD will ever be released as it been 'on the cards' since around 1999! It dosen't seem likely.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby iefje » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:33 pm

Ludwig wrote:Interesting to note too that Cliff's performance on that 1969 Far East tour, backed by Brian, John, Alan & Hank, was recorded in Korea and released there, in 1970, on a album "Cliff Live In Korea". One Internet source notes that the recording was in mono, the quality wasn't very good, and the track list was augmented with material from Cliff's 1967 Live In Japan album. I don't believe the Korean performance has ever been officially released on CD in the UK.

A reminder, for anyone interested that hasn't seen it, "Early In The Morning", from the 1969 tour is on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr6yKVKo7hs

Regards,
Phil.

That is correct Phil. I have a copy of this double album. The sound mix is mono and doesn´t sound very bright, but it´s a great concert to have, because the 1969 Shadows can be heard very well, especially on "Throw Down A Line". Sides one, two and three are devoted to the South Korea performance, the tracks on side four were indeed taken from Cliff´s 1967 "Live In Japan" album. There hasn´t been a CD issue of this album to date and I don´t think it will ever be issued as such.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Return to The Shadows