Hank & The Shadows

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Hank & The Shadows

Postby ghostriders100 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:34 pm

Hi all, I have been listening to the old records lately, long overdue, most of that early stuff was groundbreaking I think even back to the CLIFF lp,when Hank was laying into that Guyaton. His fills and leads were so right on the money if you listen really closely you can hear the notes fit just right, how did he ever do that? And all that stuff that we have spent mountains of money trying to copy, he thought of it first. I mean what about taking that old "Man of Mystery" tune we heard on Edgar Lustgargen films into the classic track it is to day, and what about that triplet he works into "Please Don't Tease " solo. There are countless examples, his instro work has been outstanding, but I would also like to mention the other guys especially Jet Harris whose Bass work was always driving it all along. That Album "Me and My Shadows" I think it's called,the one that has "Evergreen Tree" on it, so good. For me the original line was the best. If you stop to think,that line up had to hit the ground running after "Move It " charted,how they gelled together as a band in such a short time is indeed a modern musical "Miracle". Cliff was a half decent singer though.
ghostriders100

Full Real Name: brianscottingham

Re: Hank & The Shadows

Postby Martin Page » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:13 pm

ghostriders100 wrote:Hi all, I have been listening to the old records lately, long overdue, most of that early stuff was groundbreaking I think even back to the CLIFF lp,when Hank was laying into that Guyaton. His fills and leads were so right on the money if you listen really closely you can hear the notes fit just right, how did he ever do that? And all that stuff that we have spent mountains of money trying to copy, he thought of it first. I mean what about taking that old "Man of Mystery" tune we heard on Edgar Lustgargen films into the classic track it is to day, and what about that triplet he works into "Please Don't Tease " solo. There are countless examples, his instro work has been outstanding, but I would also like to mention the other guys especially Jet Harris whose Bass work was always driving it all along. That Album "Me and My Shadows" I think it's called,the one that has "Evergreen Tree" on it, so good. For me the original line was the best. If you stop to think,that line up had to hit the ground running after "Move It " charted,how they gelled together as a band in such a short time is indeed a modern musical "Miracle". Cliff was a half decent singer though.

Agreed Brian, but a couple of small corrections. I hope you don't mind me pointing them out: Hank's guitar was an Antoria although Guyatone did make a very similarly shaped guitar; it's the Edgar Wallace Mysteries that you're thinking about, which of course were very similar to Lustgarten's films; although Move It has Hank, Bruce, Jet & Tony on the live Cliff LP, they didn't appear on the Move It single (I'm sure you know that because you did say ' after Move It charted) but it was Cliff's third single, Livin' Lovin' Doll that first featured Hank, Bruce, Jet and a (pre-Meehan) Terry Smart on drums.

Regards, Martin.
Martin Page

Postby chas » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:45 pm

Yes, you're right Brian - and all at such a tender ages! It's incredible to think that when I was being enthralled by those records as a youngster, Hank was only about 7/8 years older than me - unbelievable!
Btw. Martin, the Antoria & Guyatone (LG-50) are one in the same. Guyatone was the manufacturer, Antoria was a brand name of a British importer/distributor.
Chas.
chas

Full Real Name: Chas de Lacy

Postby Pedro » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:23 pm

Ref: Name above.

Is there anyone on this planet who knows the whereabouts of Terry Smart.
My only interest is that I have read that he joined the Merchant Navy.

Hopefully he went on deck but unlikely due his starting age. Probably an Engineer (that's OK)

Hopefully not a Steward like John Prescott or Tony Woodley (Union Guy)
Pedro

Postby Martin Page » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:59 am

chas wrote:Yes, you're right Brian - and all at such a tender ages! It's incredible to think that when I was being enthralled by those records as a youngster, Hank was only about 7/8 years older than me - unbelievable!
Btw. Martin, the Antoria & Guyatone (LG-50) are one in the same. Guyatone was the manufacturer, Antoria was a brand name of a British importer/distributor.
Chas.

Chas, yes, I was thinking it was something along those lines. My Guru's Guitar Guide has two separate entries: Antoria - U.K. importer brand name and Guyatone: Japan late fifties. :)

Also, in my first message on this thread, that should read: Tales of Edgar Wallace not Edgar Wallace Mysteries.

Regards, Martin.
Martin Page

Return to The Shadows