Besides Hank......

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Besides Hank......

Postby Gary Allen » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:52 pm

I thought Id put this to other members........In your opinion of course.....Who has the closest shads sound besides Hank ? For me its Phil Kelly or Gege....sleepwalk off the tvs jukebox is fairly impressive too.........Gary
Gary Allen

Full Real Name: Gary Allen

Re: Besides Hank......

Postby John Brown » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:59 pm

Which of Hanks sounds do you mean. Dave Martin certainly has or had the Burns era sound when playing for Legend
Best Regards
John
John Brown

Full Real Name: John Brown

Postby Gary Allen » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:04 pm

Hi John...well thats a start....I guess it could be from any era...I also find theres not much interest (soundfile wise ) in the string of hits era....Gary
Gary Allen

Full Real Name: Gary Allen

Postby AlanMcKillop » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:10 pm

Colin Pryce-Jones and Ronnie Gustaffison both have great early 60's sounds.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby Bojan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:15 pm

Well, I think many people have achieved the Hank sound (I am talking here about Hank's early sound). In addition to Phil and Gege, whom you have already mentioned, there is also Colin Pryce Jones of the Rapiers, Gary Taylor in Perth, Patrice Bastien of Guitar Express, our own Dave Robinson . . . Also, Ecca's version of The Savage sounds mighty close to the original!!! I'm sure there are many more! I really don't think it's such a mystery any more.
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby Didier » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:17 pm

Bojan wrote:Well, I think many people have achieved the Hank sound (I am talking here about Hank's early sound). In addition to Phil and Gege, whom you have already mentioned, there is also Colin Pryce Jones of the Rapiers, Gary Taylor in Perth, Patrice Bastien of Guitar Express, our own Dave Robinson . . . Also, Ecca's version of The Savage sounds mighty close to the original!!! I'm sure there are many more! I really don't think it's such a mystery any more.

Hi Bojan,

All of those you have quoted certainly achieved excellent results in emulating Hank's early years sound, what's funny is that they all used different ways for that !

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:17 pm

Hi all, Phil Kelly for the maple neck sound. Colin Pryce Jones for the rosewood era. David Martin for the Burns era then any other era we can all do the modern sound as its sometimes called. Just a quick word about the Antoria period Colin Price Jones has just receved, after three years, his re-furbished original Antoria LG50 and boy oh boy cah he get the Jet Black, Driftin etc etc sounds. Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby Bojan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:15 am

Didier wrote:
Bojan wrote:Well, I think many people have achieved the Hank sound (I am talking here about Hank's early sound). In addition to Phil and Gege, whom you have already mentioned, there is also Colin Pryce Jones of the Rapiers, Gary Taylor in Perth, Patrice Bastien of Guitar Express, our own Dave Robinson . . . Also, Ecca's version of The Savage sounds mighty close to the original!!! I'm sure there are many more! I really don't think it's such a mystery any more.

Hi Bojan,

All of those you have quoted certainly achieved excellent results in emulating Hank's early years sound, what's funny is that they all used different ways for that !

Didier

Yes, I guess that means there is "more than one way to skin a cat." :D
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby JimN » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:33 am

Geoff Alderton LH wrote:Just a quick word about the Antoria period Colin Price Jones has just receved, after three years, his re-furbished original Antoria LG50...

Four years.

I was at Roberto's house in summer 2005 when it arrived by courier. I remember helping to unpack it, but Roberto never managed to start on the refurbishment, unfortunately.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:07 am

Hi Jim. When the guitar arrived back from Roberto's It was passed on to my son Mark to do the work. I think Jim that Roberto would have been proud of how it turned out and I think that when you see and hear the result you would agree. We did remember and speak about Roberto when Colin opened the case and saw the guitar again after such a long time. The debate Roberto started amongst Shadows fans, which we all took part in, is now, I believe, part of Shadows history. All the best Jim and regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Next

Return to The Shadows