A pocket guide to Shadow Music: A reaction

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: A pocket guide to Shadow Music: A reaction

Postby RayL » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:35 pm

If I had a critism of both the Shadows and Ventures books it is only that the index of tunes is counter-intuitive - the name of the tune comes after the reference number.

In an index where one looks for a tune by looking at an alphabetical list (as one does in these books), then the reference number should follow the name of the tune.

ie it should be APACHE [12]
and not
[12] APACHE

Ray L
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Re: A pocket guide to Shadow Music: A reaction

Postby Moderne » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:33 pm

There seems to be something about The Shadows that inspires people to be slightly 'over the top' in the expression of their opinions sometimes...the bizarrely over-long Wikipedia entry is a case in point. In many ways 'the pocket guide to shadow music' is a highly informative entertaining read. But there are some entries where I feel the authors are 'inebriated by the exuberance of their verbosity' to quote my dad! A good example being The Modern Way: "Composer Bogdanovs...furnishes an equally robust, at times florid keyboard accompaniment. The style, elaborate to the point of self-indulgence, rather blunts the force of the song's message, already creaking under the weight of its obscurity/obscuranticism."

Just my opinion!!

Clive
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Previous

Return to The Shadows