Evening Standard Review - o2 show

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Evening Standard Review - o2 show

Postby neil2726 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:09 pm

They even knocked Elvis at the end of his career " fat n bloated" etc. Gives something to write about I suppose.
Cliff's been out of favour with the press and the radio stations for years, the BBC especially seem anti- Cliff and the Shads these days, neither getting much air play. Radio 2 which used to cater for the mature audience is now more for the younger market!
Knock Cliff all you like he's bloody good at what he does, and still has a huge fan base. You dont last 50 years if you dont have talent! Maybe the media haven't cottoned on that he and the Shads are selling out HUGE arenas!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby drakula63 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:32 pm

Who exactly is Long John Baldry? Did he invent Long Johns? Or is he just bald? Is he still alive? Sorry, never heard of him. Now Sir Cliff Richard, that's another story...

;)
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Peter K » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:27 pm

Hi Chris,

Long John Baldry died some years ago. He was a British singer who had one hit called " Let the heartaches begin "
back in the sixties.
Before he went solo he was a member of " Steampacket ", this group also featured Rod Stewart, Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger,
Vic Briggs and Micky Waller.

Regards
Peter
Peter K

Postby Nick Allan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:14 pm

And he lived in Guildford, and played at the art school before he was well-known, well, well-known to my generation anyway !!!

Nick.
Nick Allan

Postby David Martin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:37 pm

Baffled... :?
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Martin Page » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:44 pm

Nick Allan wrote:And he lived in Guildford, and played at the art school before he was well-known, well, well-known to my generation anyway !!!

Nick.

In fact Long John lived in Vancouver, Canada for thirty odd years before he died in 2005.

Martin.
Martin Page

Postby dogbender » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:46 pm

Long John Baldry was playing a gig in Exeter that we were also playing at. I was returning home to London and he asked for a lift. He travelled all the way from Exeter to Portland Place in London in the front seat of my mode of transport at the time .................... a mini van!....................he was well over 6ft tall.
Pete
dogbender

Full Real Name: Peter Gillies

Previous

Return to The Shadows