Nottingham Sep 30th Show

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Nottingham Sep 30th Show

Postby drakula63 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:52 am

Just realised, I haven't really said that much about the Shadows as yet. Sorry, really knackered last night when I wrote that first review and at least one of my eyes was having difficulty staying open and the other was closing in sympathy. And as for my brain, I think it was still in Nottingham...

Anyway; I loved the way in which they did two shortish sets - one in each half. Much better than just one long set, in my opinion. It meant that you saw them twice (on their own) in one night, spread the tunes out a bit more and, of course, gave Cliff the chance to nip off and change his clothes!!! Wish I could have done that half way through, what with all the sweating!!! The choice of numbers was good, all the classics, which, let's face it, everyone wants to hear and will help to sell the DVD. Plus of course, as the Shads didn't take their Final Tour to Aus/NZ/SA, it means that these guys get to experience at least some of the magic that we all enjoyed in 2004/2005. The numbers were played as well, if not better, than I have heard them before. No lack of enthusiasm. Only two disappointments: 1) I had hoped that Brian would play Little B. Still, I guess that would have been too self-indulgent for a show that is, after all, about Cliff and the Shads as a unit. I had been preparing my hand-clapping techniques for the audience participation bit all day. Oh well, maybe it saved me from any embarrassment. Seriously, Little B - always a highlight at any Shads gig, but maybe this one was not the time or place. Fair enough. 2) Oh well, I'll admit it; I have finally given up hoping to see them play Love DeLuxe live!!! What do ya mean, it wasn't one of their better singles! First one I ever bought and it still sounds great to me!! Sorry if I have spoilt things for anyone else who was also hoping to hear this. What do ya mean, I'm on me own there?!

Seriously, I am still buzzing from the gig. Can't honestly think of anything negative about it at all. An experience I shall never forget. The sound, the playing, the presentation, all spot on. The Shads just don't seem to age, they seem to defy the years.

Some people, I know, have been critical of the arena aspect of this tour, but really, this is the only way they could have done it. To play to this many people, in theatres, they'd have been on tour till 2012. Not as intimate as a theatre, sure, but the Nottingham Arena was an awesome place. Absolutely massive and packed to the rafters. I gather the Sheffield Arena is even bigger? We shall be there in two weeks, right near the rafters, as it happens, so I'd better get that vertigo sorted out.

Once again, a fantastic gig. Anyone who is yet to see them, and who is reading this, rest assured - you cannot possibly fail to have an utterly brilliant time.

:D
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby dogbender » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:06 pm

I like Love DeLuxe and also Can't Play Your Game Anymore from the Guardian Angel album..........I'm definately in a minority!
Pete.
dogbender

Full Real Name: Peter Gillies

Postby David Martin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:40 pm

I'm going to start another thread around this subject... Mind if I move your contributions on the subject?
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby barrie » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:08 pm

I've got to agree with everything said about the Show
It was Fantastic me and my wife really enjoyed it. :D

I took a few photo's here are two of them one of Warren.

Thought I'd better slip a photo in for the Drummers on here. :D
Here's Brian in full swing.
Attachments
P1030562.jpg
(78.06 KiB) Downloaded 8013 times
P1030582.jpg
(69.97 KiB) Downloaded 8066 times
P1030541.jpg
(66.87 KiB) Downloaded 8066 times
Last edited by barrie on Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
barrie

Postby drakula63 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:20 pm

Great pics. Especially the one of Warren; simply because, from where I was sitting, I couldn't really see him.

:(
drakula63

Postby alewis41 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:34 pm

Want to add my vote for Love Deluxe being a great Shads single. No reason why it would be played at a Cliff/Shads gig and they didn't play it during their last tour. Has anybody heard it played live?
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby drakula63 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:25 pm

Seeing as how I seem to have inadvertantly started a new topic of conversation...

I know they played Love Deluxe live during their 1978 tour, as I have a live recording. Sounded good live, with Hank using his Roland guitar synth - which, apparently, was notoriously difficult to play. For reasons that are meaningless to me. I ought to add that I wasn't really serious about expecting them to play it live. I think I'd have had a heart attack and died of shock if they had!!!

Now I shall mosey on over to the other thread that Dave has started and let this one get back on track...!!!!

:o :D

By the way; can I assume that Brian is now wearing contact lenses or has had laser surgery, as those pretty cool rimless glasses he wore on the previous tour were conspicuous by their absence. He looked great and not at all like Ken Livingstone as some idiot stated in the Nottingham Evening Post!!!!

:x
drakula63

Postby Tony Szpala » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:37 pm

Chris (Drakula)

I concur with your views on the Notts Show 100%
Your review very accurately and comprehensively depicts the event - so much so that I cannot add anything of any real value!
If it wasn't for your generousity with your spare tickets my wife and I would not have attended - which would certainly have been our loss!

Thanks again, Chris

Tony
Tony Szpala

Location: Ripley, Derbyshire email address: tony.szpala@hotmail.com
Full Real Name: Tony Szpala

Postby drakula63 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:05 pm

A pleasure Tony. Glad you both enjoyed it.

Yes, as I've said elsewhere; it was BRILLIANT!!!!
:D
drakula63

Postby kittycph » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:57 pm

barrie wrote:I've got to agree with everything said about the Show
It was Fantastic me and my wife really enjoyed it. :D

I took a few photo's here are two of them one of Warren.

Great pics
kittycph

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows