Memory Lane Blast From The Past

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Memory Lane Blast From The Past

Postby MagicOurMorris » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:48 pm

I have just been sorting out some CDs etc which we all tend to do now and then, and this in turn led to me re-visiting the free DVD which is contained within and is part of "The Shadows Platinum Collection" CD album.
Whilst the DVD technically is not up to the standard for example of "The Final Tour" DVD, what is special about this DVD IMHO is it's pure atmosphere. It shows the Lads really enjoying themselves on stage playing live at the Birmingham Exhibition Centre. Each and every member of the band thoroughly enjoying being a part of the performance - not least of all Bruce and Hank.
The "Raw" "That Sound" which is often refered to within threads on this site is IMHO here in abundance and it's easy to see why the Shads had such an emense following, they were simply brilliant!
I love the state of Hank's guitar with what looks like a shim placed in the neck pocket, a well worn fretboard, and loads of dents dings and missing paint chips, plus chrome - yes chrome fittings - no easy mute trem either, a far cry from the guitar/s he uses today, which all goes to show, as has been said so many times before on this site, that a lot of us, myself included, spend a lot of money buying quality equipment similar to the equipment which Hank uses, all in an effort to try to get that sound, but in reality it's the shear magic of the man's playing ability which is "the secret ingredient".
Hank would make a reasonable well tuned and well set up guitar sing. This DVD IMHO shows Hank's playing abilities superbly.
If you havent got The Platinum Collection CD album with the free DVD, go out and buy it, you won't be dissapointed.
It'll bring a smile to you face I guarantee.
Best Regards to all.
MagicOurMorris.
MagicOurMorris

Full Real Name: Keith Sayles

Return to The Shadows