Sankei Hall (live in Japan)

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, George Geddes, JimN, dave robinson

Re: Sankei Hall (live in Japan)

Postby bob t » 08 Oct 2009, 12:30

Although I enjoy the Sankei Hall tracks viewed as very different versions especially Flingel Bunt I think the main problem with this Album is the sound of the electric guitars.
I think that this may have been the use of different amplifiers which gave a very treble sound which is not what we are used to hearing from The Shadows

Bob T
bob t

Postby bob t » 08 Oct 2009, 16:06

I'm sure I read somewhere that they used Gibson amps but I may be wrong

Bob T
bob t

Postby suboA21 » 08 Oct 2009, 16:36

bob t wrote:I'm sure I read somewhere that they used Gibson amps but I may be wrong

Bob T

Bob, I think that was South Africa in 1961 - according to Mike Read's book on the Shadows

Although, looking at the poor photo on my album cover it does seem as though the amps may not have been Vox in the backline.

Steve
suboA21

Postby George Geddes » 08 Oct 2009, 16:57

I believe they were using Jennings transistor amps in Japan.

George
George Geddes

Postby JimN » 08 Oct 2009, 17:02

George Geddes wrote:I believe they were using Jennings transistor amps in Japan.
George

Correct. And the same amps were used on the UK tour by the same line-up in the same year. Hank's was a J40 combo; John R's was a separate bass head and cabinet. I am sure that the amps contribute greatly to the overall sound of that album.

JN
JimN

Postby bob t » 08 Oct 2009, 17:05

suboA21 wrote:
bob t wrote:I'm sure I read somewhere that they used Gibson amps but I may be wrong

Bob T

Bob, I think that was South Africa in 1961 - according to Mike Read's book on the Shadows

Although, looking at the poor photo on my album cover it does seem as though the amps may not have been Vox in the backline.

Steve

Yes you are right Steve I was getting mixed up, from the other posts it looks like Jennings transistor amps so that would explain a lot

Bob T
bob t

Postby suboA21 » 08 Oct 2009, 17:13

Also strangely, that may explain why I found it difficult to get that WHINE from my Legend when trying to play Sacha and other tracks from Hanks 1st solo album which was about that time. I actually like the sound on here cuz it is different.
Maybe it was the "trannie" amp that did it. You can sort of hear it (from memory) on the Sankei Hall album. Actually I loved the sound of Hanks solo album and subsequently Throw down a line and Joy Of Living also referred to on another thread here. So it may all tie up here.

Steve
suboA21

Postby iefje » 12 Oct 2009, 15:32

Today, it's exactly forty years ago that this album was recorded.
iefje

Postby drakula63 » 13 Oct 2009, 11:02

iefje wrote:Today, it's exactly forty years ago that this album was recorded.

Thanks for that. I listened to it last night, in the kitchen with a stuffed crust pizza and very good it was too.

;)
drakula63

Postby Mikey » 14 Oct 2009, 15:12

drakula63 wrote:
iefje wrote:Today, it's exactly forty years ago that this album was recorded.

Thanks for that. I listened to it last night, in the kitchen with a stuffed crust pizza and very good it was too.

;)

What, the album or the pizza? Both, I'm sure!
Mikey

Previous

Return to The Main Board