Happy Birthday to Us!!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Happy Birthday to Us!!

Postby David Martin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:13 am

Well folks, here we are... ShadowMusic is 10 years old... :D

There are so many people to thank... (and I know I won't do all of them justice...)

Graham (Slammer) in Canada helped me to contact all the SCOFA (Shadows Club of Australia) members when that organisation closed. (Anyone put me in touch with him? Lost his addy...)

The Assistant Managers on the old MSN site for their support and time (our most precious asset) with special mentions for Trevor Lyon, Mike Hill, Jim Nugent, Alan McKillop, Pete Richardson, Angelique Von Sohsten for service above and beyond the call of duty...

Our very special friends and colleagues in The Netherlands, Germany, Belgium and France ... and Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Italy, Norway... for keeping the flame alive when so many of us in UK were otherwise occupied.

The network of Shadows music clubs in UK and further afield for support and encouragement in the real - as opposed to virtual - world.

To members of The Shadows - who largely lurk, but see all - for inspiration and support.

And to Derek, Lesley and Dave Robbo for their generosity in bringing the family back together again...

(And of course the backroom boys, Chris Kenward for our temporary home at TGIS, and Bob Dore for what I hope will be our permanent home)

I haven't prepared a proper speech, but I'd like to thank my parents, my record producer, my manager, and of course my darling wife for all their support.... my children for their tolerance... my uncle for a great guitar... Marks & Spencer for their support - great elastic! :lol:

Here's to the next 10 years! I remember when I was on the shores... :geek:
Last edited by David Martin on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Just a little tweak...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Re: Happy Birthday to Us!!

Postby AngeliqueNL » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:37 am

Congratulations David (and all) ;-) :clap:
Amazing that it's been 10 years already... alright 9 and a half for me :-) ;-)
Shadowmusic has brought a lot of joy and lots of new friends and contacts to my life and made events such as Shadowmania even more special as we were able to meet and hug in real life!
Thanks to this website lots of special friendships came to fruition for me personally, unfortunately we have lost a few too as some of our close friends are no longer with us today :-(
So on a day like today, the above is what I'll be thinking of.

I hope to be a member of this site for many years to come!

Cheers!
Angel(ique) x
:wave:
Last edited by AngeliqueNL on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngeliqueNL

Postby OLDEREK » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:20 am

Congratulations David and Shadowmusc on your ten birthday :D ............What would I do without it !..............It's so easy just to log in here and take the internet for granted these days, but if you had never started this place for us all where would we be ........My life has been turned around by all the off shoots from Shadowmusic.........The Music.....The Clubs.........The People.......The Friendships...........And this place which has become my Second Home !..........
I hope I'm still around to celebrate it's 20th Birthday...........David Martin I thankyou..... :D
OLDEREK

Postby Bojan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:42 am

OLDEREK wrote:Congratulations David and Shadowmusc on your ten birthday :D ............What would I do without it !..............It's so easy just to log in here and take the internet for granted these days, but if you had never started this place for us all where would we be ........My life has been turned around by all the off shoots from Shadowmusic.........The Music.....The Clubs.........The People.......The Friendships...........And this place which has become my Second Home !..........
I hope I'm still around to celebrate it's 20th Birthday...........David Martin I thankyou..... :D

I'll drink to that !!! :clap:
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby kittycph » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:40 pm

Happy Birthday Shadowmusic.
When I first discovered this site in 2005, I didn't have any idea, how it would affect my future.
I found a lot of friends here. A lot of them, I have had the pleasure to meet in real life at Shadowmania.

I do miss Shadowmania this year.
Don't misunderstand me. I love the tour and concerts, but I miss to meet up with friends.
I was lucky enough to meet some of you at The O2.
For the next 10 years - skaal, prost, proost, cheers, Santé, Salud. Sorry Bojan, I don't know what it is called in serbian
:clap:

Kitty
kittycph

Postby Martin Page » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:07 pm

Yeah, been here since the beginning of 2000 and it's really changed my life. Although I was a founder member of The Southend Shadows' Club back in 1997, I've met many like-minded people via these sites both here and Canada where I lived for seven years.

A very big thank you David.

Regards, Martin.
Martin Page

Postby Marcelo » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:42 pm

Congratulations David and people who make this site!

Certainly is a job to keep ahead with a duty of this.
By my part, sincerely thanks for being part of it as a member.

Regards,
Marcelo.
Marcelo

Postby AlanMcKillop » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:10 pm

Agreed, it's been a great ride with a few bumps on the way, long may it continue.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby SELEDA284 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:59 pm

10 years !! Yes it certainly is a time for celebration, :D so I add my congratulaions & good wishes that ShadowMusic may continue. :)

I am very pleased to have been given the opportunity to get back into "The Family" ....... I have certainly appreciated the warmth, help & kindness of many members on here........ too many to name... they have my grateful thanks, & some of them probably dont realise quite how much all this has helped me in my personal life during the last two & half years since my 'other half' passed away.....this extended 'Family' has been a Big bonus for me to be part of.

Throughout the years the Music, & the concerts have introduced me some wonderful friends.. :D .. & much to my delight this has continued with ShadowMusic, the various Clubs, & not forgetting Shadowmania.

As has been said by others, it has been of enormous benefit to many fans from all over the world, which I think is a fantastic achievement......well done to David & all who have kept it going through thick'n'thin.......... Congratulations & Long may it continue.
SELEDA284

Postby BobGreg » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:01 pm

Well David, thanks for your inspiration in setting up the original site, we have managed to survive 10 years - albeit with a few bumpy moments on route.

Seems a long time since the days of SCOFA; was always sorry that weren't able to get Ian Kersaw to merge his datadase with Shadowmusic and join us. Looking back I can't help but feel that Tasmania was a long way from The Shadows home base to set up a world wide appreciation so early on the internet - but it worked!

We should not forget Patrick Terrett for setting up the UB Hank Club and sourcing those first CDs from SCOFA that stimulated such a lot of interest. It was Patrick that also set up the forerunner to Shadowmania with his "ShadowsFest" in Wales, again stimulating a wider interest in listening and joining in with the music we all loved.

I've just trawled through my email archive from way back, but was unable to find Slammer's email. Graham was a real source of enthusiasm in those early days, especially after his first grandchild was born (I think I've got that right). Didn't he come over for one of the early Shadowmanias? I'm sure that we had a chat at that event.

So a big congratulations to all those "pathfinders" in helping to stimulate and establish ShadowMusic - long may it continue.
BobGreg

Next

Return to The Shadows