The Shadows Story (my selected pieces)

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Shadows Story (my selected pieces)

Postby chronikman-ch » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:00 am

28 October 1962

Jet Harris

The end of 1962 saw Craig Douglas on tour with Little Richard, Jet Harris, Kenny Lynch and Sounds Incorporated.
When they reached The Liverpool Empire on 28 October, local support act The Beatles were added to the bill, as they had just had their first record released on Parlophone. Jet Harris left with singer Craig Douglas
Attachments
28.10.1962+JetHarris.JPG
(29.44 KiB) Downloaded 10842 times
chronikman-ch

Full Real Name: Heinz M. Rolli

Postby RayL » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:37 am

Lots of questions about that picture, the obvious one being - is that really Jet playing the ES345?

Secondly, who are the other musicians? They are not Sounds Incorporated (Alan Holmes played flute on occasion for Sounds but that ain't Alan, and the keyboard player isn't Baz and the drummer isn't Tony Newman).

A posed shot perhaps, using members of the house orchestra? (Perhaps Jim N can tell us if the Liverpool Empire had a house orchestra in 1962?)(and what were their names?)

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Pol » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:03 am

RayL wrote:Lots of questions about that picture, the obvious one being - is that really Jet playing the ES345?

Secondly, who are the other musicians? They are not Sounds Incorporated (Alan Holmes played flute on occasion for Sounds but that ain't Alan, and the keyboard player isn't Baz and the drummer isn't Tony Newman).

A posed shot perhaps, using members of the house orchestra? (Perhaps Jim N can tell us if the Liverpool Empire had a house orchestra in 1962?)(and what were their names?)

Ray

Members of the house orchestra...hmm... just a shot in the dark, maybe the guitarist is John Paul Jones posing with Big Jim Sullivan`s Gibson ES-355 ? Both were session musicians at that time.

Cheers, Pol
Pol

Postby GoldenStreet » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:09 pm

It seems highly unlikely the picture was taken on 28th October 1962 (Hank's 21st birthday), as these particular musicians would appear to bear little resemblance to those actually on the Liverpool Empire bill that night.

http://www.fincharie.com/beatles%20page ... er1962.htm

Certainly, John Paul Jones was associated with the Jet Blacks, but was it at this particular time?

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby chronikman-ch » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:35 am

Melody Maker 17 September 1966

VETERAN SHADOWS STAY PUT

hmr
Attachments
Melody Maker 17 Sept 1966hankmarvin.JPG
(98.09 KiB) Downloaded 10716 times
chronikman-ch

Postby JimN » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:45 pm

RayL wrote:Lots of questions about that picture, the obvious one being - is that really Jet playing the ES345?

Ray

A. I'm pretty sure that's not Jet Harris holding the guitar. It looks similar, but the guitarist in the photo seems thinner than Jet, with a slightly longer face.

B. The guitar is a Gibson ES-355TDCSV, not a 345...

C. The Empire Theatre (part of the Stoll-Moss Empires group and therefore a stablemate - if a larger one - of the London Palladium) did not maintain a permanent orchestra. It would have been a fearful expense and not many theatres in the UK have done so since the days of music hall; even the RSC's venues don't have standing orchestras. On the other hand, London and major provincial concert halls (as distinct from theatres) do usually have standing orchestras with salaried players, then as now.

D. That looks rather like Alan Holmes on flute, but as you say, not Barrie Cameron on piano (and not Tony Newman on drums either). So almost certainly no Sounds Incorporated link in that photo. And probably no link with Liverpool either.

OK...

A five minute research on Google Images reveals that this photo has been analysed before:

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/forums/extras/103965-sighted-ah-there-you-2.html

This reveals that the still is from a 1962 movie called "The Painted Smile", and the person who mentions it at the URL above also claims that the guitarist is Jet Harris.

But...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056323/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

...reveals that "The Painted Smile" was released in May 1962.

Anyone who knows even as little as I do about film and TV production will immediately recognise that the chances of Jet, leaving The Shadows in mid-April 1962, appearing in a film released in May 1962, are slim indeed. That just isn't the way that films are made, then or now.

Phew...
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby chronikman-ch » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:16 pm

NME 14.10.1966
Super-relaxed style

A proposal for the last days of 2013.
Best wishes and good luck for the future!
Heinz from Switzerland
Attachments
NME 14.10.1966.JPG
(138.48 KiB) Downloaded 10629 times
chronikman-ch

Postby Paulps » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:46 pm

"Time drops by?" Surely "Time DRAGS by?"
Paulps

Postby chronikman-ch » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:57 am

NME Article: 24 March 1961

Cliff Richard, Shadows stage acts waxed in Johannesburg (Wednesday 15. March 1961)

hmr
Attachments
NME 24.3.1961.JPG
(260.44 KiB) Downloaded 10428 times
chronikman-ch

Postby chronikman-ch » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:53 pm

chronikman-ch wrote:NME Article: 24 March 1961

Cliff Richard, Shadows in Johannesburg (Wednesday 15. March 1961)

hmr
Attachments
NME 17.3.1961.JPG
(115.42 KiB) Downloaded 10363 times
chronikman-ch

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows