The Shadows Story (my selected pieces)

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, George Geddes, JimN, dave robinson

Re: The Shadows Story (my selected pieces)

Postby GoldenStreet » 08 Nov 2013, 13:01

In addition to this 1970 Decca album (stereo), Andee Silver recorded three singles for HMV, Decca and United Artists.

http://991.com/buy/productinformation.a ... Friendly=1

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby chronikman-ch » 08 Nov 2013, 13:55

chronikman-ch wrote:Juke Box Jury 29.April 1967 (NME Picture)

Jeff's Outer Limits had the honour of having their first commercially released single, Just One More Chance, featured on BBC TV's Jukebox Jury.
This most enduring of UK pop panel shows was hosted by deejay David Jacobs, in front of a Rock-Ola Tempo II jukebox and his famous bell and hooter which he used to announce whether a song was a Hit or Miss respectively.
It featured a celebrity panel of four people rendering their judgements on the latest pop releases, and had a catchy theme song called Hit and Miss, penned and performed by John Barry and a hit in its own right.
In the case of a split decision, a separate panel made up of members of the audience voted as a tie-breaker.
There were guests of all kinds on the panel, not only from the world of music, but also from sport and the theatre. The most famous panellists were the four Beatles themselves.
The Outer Limits single was judged during a 1967 program, with the guest panellists including the Shadows' Hank Marvin and Bruce Welch.
As Jeff recalls, he watched the show as the record was played before the panel, and then voted upon.
Bruce voted it a miss but Hank liked it, saying "it reeks of a hit".
"He was also complimentary about the vocal and the arrangement," Jeff said.
In the end, two panellists voted it a hit, and two a miss, resulting in a tie.
The teenage studio audience then had to cast the deciding vote, and they proclaimed it a hit, resulting in David ringing his magic bell.
"I've always wanted to thank Hank for that vote of confidence, that may well have had a positive effect and reaffirmation of self-belief in my breakthrough less than three years later," Jeff said.
"Peer acknowledgement and praise from those you admire is like a blessing."
The jury's decision proved accurate, with Just One More Chance nudging the top 50 — not a bad debut for an aspiring pop band.
http://www.yellowriver.0catch.com/v-jukebox%20jury.html
chronikman-ch

Postby GoldenStreet » 08 Nov 2013, 14:36

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby anniv 63 » 08 Nov 2013, 16:35

Just noticed on the Outer Limits You tube Video , one of their singles Great Train Robbery on the Instant Label arranged by
Tony Meehan
Also their Student Rag Week single recommended by Ray Teret who has been in the news of recent for rather different reasons
than music.

Mike
anniv 63

Postby chronikman-ch » 10 Nov 2013, 11:00

Thursday 8th September 1983
Attachments
1983-8-9storyofrelease_lunch.JPG
(35.37 KiB) Downloaded 8446 times
1983-8-9storyofrelease.JPG
(40.37 KiB) Downloaded 8446 times
chronikman-ch

Postby Iain Purdon » 15 Nov 2013, 23:39

I hope Paul Jones would have said what he thought anyway. Cliff's material was not universally brilliant by then and the Shads weren't always involved anyway.
I've seen PJ and CR performing together, by the way, and they seemed to get on well.
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby chronikman-ch » 17 Nov 2013, 15:48

18. January 1961 Wednesday
(Day 837 in The Shadows history since 5.10.1958 / Week 120) The Shadows: Hank Marvin, Bruce Welch, Jet Harris, Tony Meehan
hmr

Cavern Liverpool: The Shadows make a Guest appearance

Bruce Welch: During one number we were doing one of our cross-over step routines and Jet fell straight off into the audience! “I’m sorry,” I said, “Jet ‘s not too well tonight,” to which the crowd howled back, “That’s because he’s pissed.” The Story of… page 90

The Remo Four http://triumphpc.com/mersey-beat/a-z/remo-four.shtml

The Shadows
"We appeared with the Shadows during their only Cavern appearance, first playing the lunchtime session. I felt eyes watching me from the dressing room and when I turned round Tony Meehan, Hank Marvin and Bruce Welch were all in the little hole watching us and we were playing a Shadows number. I shouted to the rest of the lads, 'Look who's watching us!'

1960"In the evening we were also on with the Shadows. When Jet Harris came in he was absolutely gone. Someone said he'd been on the sherbet, but he was drunk, there was no doubt about it. Hank Marvin agreed that the Remo Four were better than the Shadows that night. He said, "We had a bass player that fell off the stage, so there were only three of us playing.' But he admitted we were the better group which, coming from Hank Marvin, was really nice for us.. "Colin Manley was the finest guitarist to come out of Liverpool. I don't care what anyone says. I've still got some unreleased recordings of Colin playing Chet Atkins and Shadows stuff, done in 1961 and they're absolutely brilliant.. "Don Andrew was a great bass player. He looked the part, stood up with that big Fender bass and looked as if he was enjoying it.

Sorry the pic is from US-Tour 1960 with l. to r. Freddy Cannon, Jet Harris, Hank Marvin & Johnny of Johnny and the Hurricanes
Attachments
1961_18_January Cavern.JPG
(22.57 KiB) Downloaded 8288 times
Last edited by chronikman-ch on 29 Nov 2013, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
chronikman-ch

Postby chronikman-ch » 17 Nov 2013, 16:41

24. December 1961 Sunday
(Day 1177 in The Shadows history since 5.10.1958 / Week 169) The Shadows: Hank Marvin, Bruce Welch, Jet Harris, Brian Bennett
hmr

The Shadows in France

The Shadows with Hank Marvin, Bruce Welch, Jet Harris and Brian Bennett. Brian Bennett, which Tony Meehan replaced a few weeks ago, have their first show at the Paris Olympia. They play the first half of the program and have more success with the French public as Twist King Chubby Checker. (The Shadows hear for the first time the play 'Guitar Tango', which they then publish in its version in 1962 and in August, they show that the 4th place in the UK charts)
Attachments
1961_25_12 Paris.JPG
(59.22 KiB) Downloaded 8280 times
chronikman-ch

Postby chronikman-ch » 17 Nov 2013, 16:59

The Shadows in France
Picture dated: December 1961 or April 1962 ?
Attachments
1961_25_12 Paris_concertpic_1.JPG
(32.21 KiB) Downloaded 8273 times
chronikman-ch

Postby Moderne » 17 Nov 2013, 22:28

I believe the photo accompanying the piece about The Shadows appearing with The Remo Four at The Cavern was taken on the tour bus when they were in America in early 1960. That's Freddy Cannon sitting down on the left.
Moderne

PreviousNext

Return to The Main Board