The Shadows' most memorable stage banter

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Shadows' most memorable stage banter

Postby tim.cooper5 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:32 pm

Paul Childs wrote:During their 25 years tour at the Cornwall Coliseum in 1983, they went into the intro for Move It and Hank, Bruce & Alan Jones all turned to the right, kept playing and started looking and eventually they all turned to the left and still kept on playing and started looking at that side and eventually they stopped and said, ''No, he's not here tonight.''

I saw them do something similar, with someone at the side of the stage just sticking their leg out as though Cliff was about to come onto the stage.
tim.cooper5

Re: The Shadows' most memorable stage banter

Postby tim.cooper5 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:37 pm

[quote="Moderne"]I think Jet's 'walking on water' comment about Cliff was a reference to his Christianity...?

I seem to remember Hank's 'losing a ring on a beach' story was about his brother. He apparently lost his wedding ring in the sand on a beach one year, "...and the next year he was digging in the sand in the same place and...you'll never guess what? He ruptured himself!"

I was lucky enough to see The Shadows virtually every year from 1979 until their final tour in 1990 - and again in 2004-5. Usually I went alone(!) but went with a group of school friends two years running, in - I think - 1981 and 1982. Their main comment after the second year was, "The jokes were all the same". I've been to countless other concerts and, corny jokes notwithstanding, have never come across an act that communicated as well with its audience and created such a nice atmosphere as The Shadows. Of course a lot of people aren't particularly interested in 'a nice atmosphere' but to me it was a huge part of the enjoyment of going to see The Shads (and later Hank) live.

Thanks for clarifying the beach story!

I too have seen The Shads from 1979 on more or less every tour until 1990. Then the reunion tour, some Shadowmanias and Hanks solo tours. Also some of Jets shows with The Rapiers.
I must say I found them all enjoyable and have happy memories of them all.

Tim
tim.cooper5

Previous

Return to The Shadows