The Shadows' most memorable stage banter

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Shadows' most memorable stage banter

Postby iefje » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:10 am

Another gem from the 2nd of April 1980 Rotterdam show is this one:
Bruce counts in to "All Shook Up": "One, two, three..." Hank: "...four, five, six, seven, eight, nine...". Bruce: "Can we continue?", Hank: "Sorry, very sorry, I'm telling Bruce I'm sorry. You know, messed it up for him. When he counted in 'one, two, three, four' and I went 'four, five, six, seven, eight'! Kinda spoiled it, really, sorry" Bruce: "Can we begin now, please? One, two, three, four..." Hank: "I tell you what though, before you start, I told everybody I apologised, so we do it now" Bruce: "Hank is sorry, just in case you didn't hear him" Hank: "Come on, go on, don't let them keep waiting" (laughter from Bruce).
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:59 pm

I know I've mentioned this on Dave Dixon's site, but there was a great moment (one of many!!) during the Cliff and the Shadows reunion show in Nottingham in 2009.

Bruce's amp is making a noise that it clearly shouldn't be.

Bruce: There's a hell of a sound coming out of my amp.

Hank: Quick someone - record it!

A classic!!! :lol:
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Gatwick1946 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:35 pm

Hank introducing Bruce "And on rythmn guitar and cash register......Mr Bruce Welch".
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby Arpeggio » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:47 pm

During the 2004 'Final Tour' Bruce played acoustic rhythm on several numbers. He wasn't strictly accurate re: time elapsed - viz: he certainly played acoustic guitar on the Shadows tour of 1990. But anyway - after (I think) "Guitar Tango" - he said: "Ahh....lovely. Do you know, I haven't played acoustic guitar onstage for about 40 years." From the back, loud enough to be heard Brian said "Yeah...and it sounds like it!!" Whether that was an impromptu gag on the first show - I don't know....but it was used every show thereafter.

Sometime in the 1980s - after one marathon drum solo by Brian lasting over 15 minutes Bruce quipped (after the applause had died down) - "Wow! Brian that was amazing....let's do it all again.....now." He and Hank immediately started the number over again. A profusely perspiring Brian just hammered out a few drumbeats and then collapsed over his kit in mock exhaustion.

Again during the 1980s (when Brian sported an all white stage outfit / suit) Hank and Bruce would have a running gag about Brian looking like a male nurse. After another epic drum solo Bruce quipped "I don't know about a nurse, I think Brian needs medical attention after that. He needs a doctor." Brian stood up, acknowledged audience cheers / laughter and then bowed somewhat stiffly. Hank grinned at him and (seemingly trying to stop himself laughing) said. "Brian....are you OK? After the show...would you like me to help you across the road?" Everyone on stage fell about laughing....including Brian who then theatrically wagged his finger at Hank.

Rob :D
Arpeggio

Postby Andy Stace » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Quite often in the 80's Bruce would be handed a box of Malteezers from someone in the audience. Hank would say 'chocolates Bruce?' 'No Malteezers' replied Bruce following the line in the TV adverts!
Andy Stace

Full Real Name: Andrew Stace

Postby Andy Stace » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:08 pm

At many shows in the late 80's, latecomers would often be let in when Hank was speaking after the first few numbers. If Hank spotted them he would ask them where they were from, more often than not they were local. So Hank would say I've come from Australia and I managed to get here on time!
Andy Stace

Full Real Name: Andrew Stace

Postby Rosemary » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:30 am

This is a great thread and entertaining reading.

Awhile back from the links page on this site I found
http://www.shadows.gilliangvideo.co.uk/
and listened to all the radio interviews with Bruce and Hank at:
http://gilliangvideo.co.uk/shadows/shads_stuffTV.htm
They're also very entertaining. :)

Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Postby Paul Childs » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:35 am

During the 80s at the Cornwall Coliseum after the introduction of the band, Hank said, 'Now you know who we are, we would like to know who you are' and pointing to the far left of the front row said, 'So starting with you'.
Paul Childs

Postby Paul Childs » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:38 am

At the Princess Theater in Torquay in 1995 someone shouted 'Apache!' and Hank looked around and said ''Where!''.
Paul Childs

Postby drakula63 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:19 pm

I remember one concert in the 1980s where the dry ice/smoke machine seemed to have gone into overdrive. The stage was literally engulfed in a thick white cloud of mist.

Hank: Brian, you really ought to give up smoking!!!

:lol:
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows